Question on 3G/Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inukami, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Inukami macrumors 6502

So i bought my IPhone today and i have a couple questions.

Why does it keep saying on top E, shouldn't it say 3G? Also my monthly contract is the $69 one. Is that how much i'm going to get billed or should i be aware of other charges? Do i get billed extra if i go online 2 much or something =?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

you see the E because you are in area with EDGE. It will say 3G when you are in an area with coverage. Unlimited data unless you go outside the country. Watch for many SMS messages you send.

3. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

So i'm paying for 3G yet i can't get it XD...

Wonder if ATT can like give me a lower plan(seriously doubt it)

oh well its only for a month, canceling next month and using prepaid lawl.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

There is going to be a thirty dollar iPhone data plan added to that if you're on AT&T. Also there are different tiers of text messaging, that could add five to twenty more dollars on top of that. Plus the first month's activation fee and the usual taxes.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, check the settings. It's possible to turn 3G off.

It's more likely you're out of the 3G coverage area, but it's worth checking.

6. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

nah, i got the IPhone plan, it already comes with data plan(unlimited), but i'm just making sure if that means unlimited unlimited.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You may be paying for 3G but not getting it, but what you are paying for is for them to upgrade the existing towers to 3G. Then when 3G comes, or you go someplace with 3G, it will be a transparent change. The 3G plan is mandatory for the iPhone 3G. There is no included SMS so watch out for it.

I would expect your final monthly bill to be near $80, mostly due to sales taxes, telecommunication fees, and federal taxes.

TEG

8. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

Now about the SMS thats only when you send them right? Getting them is okay? I got a few SMS from ATT and another when i asked for my bill, it got sent by SMS.

9. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

You pay for incoming and outgoing they changed from free incoming a few years ago. As for the AT&T ones that I am not sure about, at least the automated ones they send I would say no, but the ones where you request info you probably pay for. I don't know all I know is I have 200 texts per month, and I rarely if ever go over.

10. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible to block incoming SMS? Cause that's ****ed up.