Question on a just arrive MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by psli09, Nov 17, 2014.

1. psli09 macrumors member

Hi, I am expecting my MBA to arrive today. Should I plug it to the wall immediately while I am setting it up or should I just use up whatever is in the battery and then charge it up to full later?

thx.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Agreed. This documentation has been extremely helpful to me in the past.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Yup. No point in putting extra cycles on your battery if you don't have to.

I can't count the number of people I've seen using their phone or laptops on battery power when they're sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR CHARGERS. I say hey, why don't you plug in your device? And their answer is, oh, no, it's okay, my battery still has some charge. I don't get it...

5. psli09 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Really appreciated your help. :D

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

My cousin never uses it with the charger on, she thinks it's going to kill her battery. She will not even do updates or anything with it plugged in, it drives me crazy! Last week she did an internet recovery over a bad wifi connection. After 4 hours of downloading the battery died and called me to ask why!

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think my MBAir had like 90% battery and I used it a couple of days before I charged it.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Oh no.

9. psli09 thread starter macrumors member

I got it with about 90% battery as well. Surprisingly, the MBA came with Mavericks. So, I had to do an upgrade to Yosemite myself. Of course, plus the other native apps. I ended up plugged it in just in case during the upgrade to Yosemite.

Doing the first charge now. I downloaded Battery Health, and it indicates this is the 4th cycle of the battery.

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

I'm guilty of that too. MBA is always close to my heart when I'm using it. I'm in a recliner now with the MBA on my lap. I love this notebook!

I have it on charger for updates, Time Machine or anything that may not tolerate a power interruption.

I know the way I use it may result in needing to have the battery replace sooner but I enjoy it so much this way. It's worth it to me.

11. motrek macrumors 68020

This is a great justification and it made me happy to read this. Enjoy your Mac!

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Hi motrek,

Thanks for your post. I really do love my MBA.:)

13. macnewbieee macrumors member

use the charger whenever and wherever you can. with every 1 month battery calibration.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

15. motrek macrumors 68020

Ideally you'd use the charger whenever you can but SusanK makes a good point, if you don't like to have the charger plugged in then it's your laptop and you can do whatever you want.

Important is to know that it isn't bad for the computer to have the charger plugged in as much as possible, and it's better for the battery. As long as you know that then do whatever.