Question on accessing Time Machine files....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, May 13, 2015.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2011
    I use Time Machine to back up my rMBP to an external WD My Passport.

I plugged the WDMP into my wife's PC so I could copy a file onto her PC, but the WDMP didn't even show up as a drive?

Is there anyway to access the WDMP from a PC?

I was planning to get a Time Capsule, but I'm guessing I would have issues accessing files on it from a PC also?

Thank you
  2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Apr 27, 2010
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Windows can't read the Mac OS X Extended file system natively. You'll need a separate piece of software for that.
    But if you just need a simple file, it might be easier to use a USB thumb drive or File Sharing to transfer it.
  3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    Windows cannot read OS X's file system.

You'll have to use either a thumb drive or something else to transfer your file.

You can have the time capsule act as a shared network area storage, though again, I'm not sure a PC will be able to read from it.

I have one at home and both PC's and macs, I'll try and remember to check if the PCs can browse my TC.
  4. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2011
  5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    My PC sees it as a NAS. Can't login to it as my credentials aren't setup. I'll try and find some time to check that out.
  6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Jul 25, 2011
    Time Capsule works fine with Windows. I backup a Windows PC to one.

I don't think you can read the Mac backups but you can create a folder that both the Mac and Windows can access.