iPhone 11 Pro question on alternatives other than returning IUP phone back to Apple

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i just renewed my IUP yesterday, i'm getting a 11 Pro Max from my XS Max. besides returning the XS Max back to Apple, i figure i can sell it on my own or just pay it off give it to my family member. if i choose not to return back to Apple, how should i proceed when my new phone is shipped? do i just ignore the returning kit and just work out the remaining balance with Citizens One?

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Ignore the return kit and contact Citizens One. By default they'll stop that loan and you won't be able to make a payment on it. When you call them they can 'reopen' it so you can either continue making the payments or pay it off all together. I did this last year with my dad. He took my 8+ and just continued to make the payments on it. Worked really well.

This year I opted to not bother with the 11 Pro and instead am hanging onto my Xs. Once I pay this off I can sell it and put that money either towards an iPad or my next phone. Figure it'll still be worth $400-$500 most likely.

Reactions: kevjen888

yui4

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
I sold my iPhone privately and paid the remainder of the upgrade loan off with money left in my pocket!

The only downside is ideally you need to sell a week or two before the new iPhone release to maximise value as you’re still selling the most current iPhone and it has 1 year left of AppleCare at that point. It’s always handy to have an old or cheap phone to tide you over for the intermediate stage

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’m not sure you need to do anything other than keep the old phone if you want to keep it. Citizens shouldn’t cancel the old loan until you hand the old phone in to Apple. You might want to call Citizens to confirm, but it ought to be that simple.