Question on Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delpheno, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Delpheno macrumors member

Okay my iPhone (2G) broke, well, at least the bottom part of the screen is not responsive, so it's fairly difficult to unlock the phone to use it, but possible.

I bought my iPhone on eBay, which I think was bought last February. I unlocked it, and activated it using ZiPhone.

Any way I can have them replace my iPhone? Possible I can buy coverage? Or should I subscribe to the iPhone data plan to get that 1 year coverage?

Help me out please.

2. coleman17 macrumors newbie

Your best bet would be to go on to the apple website, go to the "support" tab, scroll down a little to the "check my warranty and repair options" link on the right hand side, type in your serial and see if you are still covered under a warranty by any chance. But, unfortunately, if you are not, Apple will make you pay, and at that point you are probably better off just getting a new phone.

Or, you could look up online a third-party website where you would get a new screen/digitizer and then do the repair yourself...that's sort of a last resort option though. Let me know how you end up!

3. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Okay well I do not qualify.

So now I'm wondering if I can buy the Apple Care program for my iPhone, and then say it broke during the warrenty.

Anybody know how Apple Care works?

Remember I got the iPhone off of eBay, so I had to unlock and activate the phone (although I'm with AT&T, I didn't want to pay for the data plan).

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

AppleCare can only be applied to devices currently under the one-year warranty. Once the included one-year warranty has expired, you can not apply AppleCare to extend the warranty. :(

5. Cuthbert macrumors regular

I think that would be called lying.

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

no because its unlocked you automatically voided the warranty already.

7. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Yes, however, I can bring it back to it's original firmware can't I?

I might ask for a repair on one of the iPhone repair website.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Doesn't matter if you unlock it or don't unlock it. If the website says you're out of warranty, then you are out of warranty. AppleCare has to be bought while still in-warranty.

At this point your choices are to pay for a repair, or get a new phone. That's it.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

+1

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

get the 3g iphone with a contract. itll probably cost less than fixing the one you have.

11. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

How about if I activate my iPhone through AT&T? I didn't do it yet, but if I do it now, is it possible to get that year warranty? By the way, I have the 2G model.

12. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Just called Apple, doesn't work.