Question on AppleCare Refund

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StockDC2, May 19, 2014.

1. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Hello, I have a quick question about getting a refund on my AppleCare purchase. I bought a Macbook Retina 13" earlier this year. I also purchased AppleCare at the same time. I know that I can get a refund on AppleCare but was wondering if I'll get the whole amount back. Since the computer is less than a year old, the extended AppleCare coverage hasn't kicked in yet which makes me believe that I'd get everything back. Is this correct?

Thanks.

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmmm.. I surely have never heard of, or even considered this being an Option actually.. I shall 'listen and learn' here accordingly!! :apple:

3. Ravenis macrumors member

It will be a partial refund, call applecare and ask to speak to agreement admin department they will tell you exactly how much

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It will be a prorated refund.

And if you had service, then odds are you won't get any money back.

5. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

I read about the prorated refund but shouldn't I receive the whole amount back since technically the computer hasn't started the extended portion of the warranty?

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmm.. I will go with __

The only 'available/usable' portion (after 90 days and up to the end of the first year) would be the Unlimited Telephone Support I would guess.. I have no idea how they might even pro-rate, but if you can get ANY back, and deem it beneficial, I suppose why not get it.. ** That being said, would you care to tell us WHY you would be looking for a Refund/ NOT having the Applecare 'follow the product' if selling it.. or .. ?? :confused:

Just a curious scenario, and I can only think if mine was Stolen and not Insured that I might wish to try to recoup some $$ as such.. Good Luck and hope you keep us informed here!! :apple:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Technically AppleCare isn't a two year warranty extension, but actually a three year AppleCare service.

It supercedes your one-year warranty.

I know a lot people like to think their computers come with one year of AppleCare; it does not. It comes with one year of warranty. In all literature, it's called a one-year limited warranty. In places where they require longer warranty like some places in Europe, it's maybe be a three year limited warranty, but it is not AppleCare.

You will notice on the repair orders it states differently if you have AppleCare versus if you don't. If you have a desktop Mac like the Mac Pro, AppleCare offers on-site service whereas the standard warranty does not.

8. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured that the computer would sell easier without AC since it would be priced more competitively against those that never had AC to begin with.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

But it will be a riskier purchase. I would keep the AC on it and price accordingly, you can always give the buyer the option of you discounting it by the amount you will receive back but I think the math may leave you over-priced compered to an MBP that has never had AC....