Question on Apples Old 27" cinema display (DVI) vrs New 27" Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by between2tides, Feb 27, 2014.

1. between2tides macrumors newbie

While waiting for my nMacPro to arrive, I've been offered a couple of two and a half year old Apple 27 Cinema Displays at a great price. I've called Apple to see how these would be connected. Seems like you'd just use the DVI to Thunderbolt (same size as mini display port) adapter. But I'm really not sure if that will work or not.

I know that the new Thunderbolt versions of these will work for sure at $1000 each.

So my question is will there be any sort of performance difference with the new ones vrs these older versions other than the data hub not being active?

Thoughts?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If memory serves, Apple never made a 27" DVI cinema display. They did make (and still actively sell) a 27" mini-DP Cinema Display. The screen itself in that display is the identical display as what's in the current Thunderbolt display.

If that's what you're thinking of, it'll connect just fine to any Mac with a mini-DP port or a Thunderbolt port -- no adapter required.

The display's speakers, USB ports and FaceTime camera connect via USB and will also work just fine (provided you plug the USB connector in to an available USB port on your Mac).

3. between2tides thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back. You're absolutely right it's mini-DP... don't know what I was thinking. Everything should work, can't remember, did the early version of this have firewire as well?. Don't see anything other than the thunderbolt display on their site.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

No, the LED cinema (mDP) only had 3 USB ports while the Thunderbolt Display has Ethernet, FireWire and a few USB ports.

5. redmac macrumors regular

I just switched from a 2xACD to a 2xTBD setup. There is absolutely no image quality difference between the two displays. Assuming you have enough number of ports on your nMP for your needs, you will only be missing 2 FW800 ports that you would otherwise get from two TBDs.

6. between2tides thread starter macrumors newbie