Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Can someone clarify something with the AT&T Unlimited &More plan and the term hotspot that they use.

Currently we have 4 lines (all iPhones) on the standard 5GB plan. We are really starting to hit that limit monthly. So I started looking into the Unlimited &More plan.

Where I'm confused is when they say:
High-speed mobile hotspot (up to plan limit)
Use your plan data to share your mobile connection with up to 5 other Wi-Fi® enabled devices.

This "hotspot" is included in my current 5GB, but it's not included in the Unlimited plan.

Does this mean if I was to switch to the new unlimited plan, I couldn't use my iPhone's "Personal Hotspot" located in Settings -> Personal Hotspot? Or does it mean I can continue to use the hotspot in iOS, but I can't buy one of those hotspot devices?

Honestly we hardly ever use the hotspot in iOS, but it does come in handy every once in a while if we have a power outage I can connect my Macbook or iPad to my iPhone via that Personal Hotspot.

Thanks for any help!

bls8195

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
This is referring to the hotspot in ios, if you don't have it the option will be taken out of your settings. I never had the hotspot until a couple weeks ago and it sent an update to the phone and added it basically. For me each of my devices has a 15GB limit for the hotspot then they slow it down to 128KB or whatever it is. I don't use the hotspot a ton but.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
This is referring to the hotspot in ios, if you don't have it the option will be taken out of your settings. I never had the hotspot until a couple weeks ago and it sent an update to the phone and added it basically. For me each of my devices has a 15GB limit for the hotspot then they slow it down to 128KB or whatever it is. I don't use the hotspot a ton but.

Crap....but thanks for the info. Man I hate AT&T. We need to have the hotspot for emergencies but don't really use it. Looks like we won't be moving to that Unlimited plan.

bls8195

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
You would have to go to the higher unlimited plan...I just moved to the plus more one and its included.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Can someone clarify something with the AT&T Unlimited &More plan and the term hotspot that they use.

Currently we have 4 lines (all iPhones) on the standard 5GB plan. We are really starting to hit that limit monthly. So I started looking into the Unlimited &More plan.

Where I'm confused is when they say:
High-speed mobile hotspot (up to plan limit)
Use your plan data to share your mobile connection with up to 5 other Wi-Fi® enabled devices.

This "hotspot" is included in my current 5GB, but it's not included in the Unlimited plan.

Does this mean if I was to switch to the new unlimited plan, I couldn't use my iPhone's "Personal Hotspot" located in Settings -> Personal Hotspot? Or does it mean I can continue to use the hotspot in iOS, but I can't buy one of those hotspot devices?

Honestly we hardly ever use the hotspot in iOS, but it does come in handy every once in a while if we have a power outage I can connect my Macbook or iPad to my iPhone via that Personal Hotspot.

Thanks for any help!
The most expensive unlimited plan includes 15GB of hotspot and slowed to 128k afterwards. My cousin pays in the neighborhood of $100 for unlimited.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Unlike AT&T Verizon lets you use their MIFI hotspot devices with unlimited plans though it will cost around $100
[doublepost=1530247189][/doublepost]They have some tiered data plans that are cheaper including a single device plan for $15 per month for 1GB with overages costing $10 per GB. Autopay and paperless billing will reduce the payment to $10 per month plus overages.
[doublepost=1530248092][/doublepost]US Cellular has good prices on Tablet and MIFI hotspot data plans with the cheapest plan being $10 for 1GB and on their new total wireless plans. The plans have no overages and instead will slow you to 128 after you expend your data allotment. The 10GB plan costs $60

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
FWIW AT&T does not throttle hotspot on unlimited plans (as of yet). I'm on one of the older unlimited plus plans from a year or so ago and I've used way over 10GB tethering with absolutely zero slowdown.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Thanks everyone. It’s crazy AT&T forces you into the higher plan just to get hotspot access. Just let me use my data.

bls8195

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
FWIW AT&T does not throttle hotspot on unlimited plans (as of yet). I'm on one of the older unlimited plus plans from a year or so ago and I've used way over 10GB tethering with absolutely zero slowdown.

So for you they haven't slowed it down? I was wondering that, I would love to get rid of my home internet however I know for phone data I have used 50GB before without a slow down at all. I just didn't know if the hotspot was different.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
So for you they haven't slowed it down? I was wondering that, I would love to get rid of my home internet however I know for phone data I have used 50GB before without a slow down at all. I just didn't know if the hotspot was different.
In my experience, yes. I'm guessing the 10GB limit hasn't actually been implemented yet on AT&T's side, but the wording is just there so they have the right to implement that limit at any given time.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
What software versions is your iPhones on?

Everyone is on the latest iOS 11.4.

I hate that AT&T thinks I care at all about their TV garbage with these unlimited plans. I'm looking at cellphone plans.....not TV plans AT&T!!! I'd love to be able to choose an unlimited plan that is just about the phone and data. I don't need your crappy TV service WITH ADS. I don't need $15/off DirectTV now.....I don't use it. I don't need a free premium channel.....Comcast is already gouging me for those :p

I'd choose the lower Unlimited plan if I could just use a little data for hotspot....again, I only use it in rare cases, but it's nice to have. Pisses me off that they would basically take hotspot usage away. Give me 1GB of hotspot data....I'd be fine with that. 99% of the time I never need it....but IF I did, I want to know it's there.

Also the deprioritization is something I'd be concerned with. Seems that on the lower Unlimited plan....you don't get the 22GB of data/line of guaranteed speeds. AT&T can throttle you whenever, without notice. Not exactly my idea of good service when paying that much.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Everyone is on the latest iOS 11.4.

I hate that AT&T thinks I care at all about their TV garbage with these unlimited plans. I'm looking at cellphone plans.....not TV plans AT&T!!! I'd love to be able to choose an unlimited plan that is just about the phone and data. I don't need your crappy TV service WITH ADS. I don't need $15/off DirectTV now.....I don't use it. I don't need a free premium channel.....Comcast is already gouging me for those :p

I'd choose the lower Unlimited plan if I could just use a little data for hotspot....again, I only use it in rare cases, but it's nice to have. Pisses me off that they would basically take hotspot usage away. Give me 1GB of hotspot data....I'd be fine with that. 99% of the time I never need it....but IF I did, I want to know it's there.

Also the deprioritization is something I'd be concerned with. Seems that on the lower Unlimited plan....you don't get the 22GB of data/line of guaranteed speeds. AT&T can throttle you whenever, without notice. Not exactly my idea of good service when paying that much.
Yeah AT&T is crooked man, I hate them, I kinda wish I would’ve never left Verizon. With AT&T my bill is never the same.

bls8195

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Maybe one day we can hope for a build your own package with the big national carriers. But then again this is just a wish.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I'm looking at cellphone plans.....not TV plans AT&T!!!

I hear you. Seems like the cell providers are targeting hard the cord cutting generation who stream everything on their phones. And hence I've gone to pre-paid where it's just data, voice, text.

T-Mobile might be an option. $40/line, LTE speeds, possible throttling at 55GB vs ATT's 22GB, 10GB of hotspot. ATT phones will work on that network. Unfortunately, the plan has Netflix included. :p

Reactions: Brandonjr36

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I hear you. Seems like the cell providers are targeting hard the cord cutting generation who stream everything on their phones. And hence I've gone to pre-paid where it's just data, voice, text.

T-Mobile might be an option. $40/line, LTE speeds, possible throttling at 55GB vs ATT's 22GB, 10GB of hotspot. ATT phones will work on that network. Unfortunately, the plan has Netflix included. :p

I am tempted by T-Mobile but we live in Southern NH and I’ve heard some so-so things on the coverage here. Need to find someone local that has them to ask.

Love that T-Mobile’s $160 is really $160. I added up our current taxes and fees in AT&T and we pay $28/month!!!! So even going to the lower unlimited plan would be closer to $190/month in AT&T. Jack-booty thugs!!!

Reactions: BrianSoCal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.