Question on ATT iPhone X

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Every previous iPhone I purchased directly from Apple has been an unlocked/Sim Free version. My question is this:

Ordered directly from Apple the iPhone X ATT version. When I receive the phone will it have a Sim installed?

CC

beach bum

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Every previous iPhone I purchased directly from Apple has been an unlocked/Sim Free version. My question is this:

Ordered directly from Apple the iPhone X ATT version. When I receive the phone will it have a Sim installed?

CC
[doublepost=1509405849][/doublepost]If like my 8+ order, then yes. Ordered thru the Apple App Store to replace existing device. BUT, afterwards, filled out an unlock request and was approved within a few hours if that is your concern. Enjoy the new X!

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

CC
Yes, but just take out the sim. Just take it out before you turn it on...

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Yes, but just take out the sim. Just take it out before you turn it on...
OK forgot to mention I paid FULL price. So if I use the included Sim it remains unlocked correct?

CC

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
OK forgot to mention I paid FULL price. So if I use the included Sim it remains unlocked correct?

CC
While the previous post indicated that you can use the New nano-SIM in the iPhone X and not affect the Carrier locking status. Your new iPhone X will be and remain "Unlocked". If you ordered as a new line or an Equipment upgrade, AT&T will charge you an Activation fee or Upgrade fee if you use the new nano-SIM.

If you simply reuse your existing AT&T active nano-SIM there is no additional fee charged by AT&T.

Dave

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
While the previous post indicated that you can use the New nano-SIM in the iPhone X and not affect the Carrier locking status. Your new iPhone X will be and remain "Unlocked". If you ordered as a new line or an Equipment upgrade, AT&T will charge you an Activation fee or Upgrade fee if you use the new nano-SIM.

If you simply reuse your existing AT&T active nano-SIM there is no additional fee charged by AT&T.

Dave
Dave

This is going to replace an existing iphone, not a new line. What should I do, take out my sim from my existing iPhone and use that one or just use the one thats in the phone? I assume if I use the one in the phone the older Sim will become inactive and NO extra fees?

CC

JSB1540

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
Dave

This is going to replace an existing iphone, not a new line. What should I do, take out my sim from my existing iPhone and use that one or just use the one thats in the phone? I assume if I use the one in the phone the older Sim will become inactive and NO extra fees?

CC
When I went from the 6S to the 7plus. it automatically activated the new phone during setup and deactivated the old. No need for a sim card change. No extra fee that I saw. The ATT sybol disappeared from the old and showed on the new a few seconds later. Old Sim inactive, I expect the same going to the X

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
That’s wxcatly when you get the
When I went from the 6S to the 7plus. it automatically activated the new phone during setup and deactivated the old. No need for a sim card change. No extra fee that I saw.
That’s exactly when you get the fee, when that new sim is activated...

Reactions: aloecool

JSB1540

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
That’s exactly when you get the fee, when that new sim is activated...[/QUOTE]
went back and looked at my statements, I can't find a fee.

My mistake, does show a $15 changes to service. I was looking at the wrong month.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
That’s exactly when you get the fee, when that new sim is activated...
went back and looked at my statements, I can't find a fee.[/QUOTE]

then you're one of the lucky ones. Or maybe you called and complained and they waived it. but i know ATT charges a $25 upgrade fee if you activate the new sim that comes with it...

JSB1540

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
went back and looked at my statements, I can't find a fee.
then you're one of the lucky ones. Or maybe you called and complained and they waived it. but i know ATT charges a $25 upgrade fee if you activate the new sim that comes with it...[/QUOTE]

I am not under an ATT contract, perhaps that is why? I did find a $15 fee however listed under changes to service?

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
then you're one of the lucky ones. Or maybe you called and complained and they waived it. but i know ATT charges a $25 upgrade fee if you activate the new sim that comes with it...
I am not under an ATT contract, perhaps that is why? I did find a $15 fee however listed under changes to service?[/QUOTE]

huh, not sure what is going on then...But i am sure that $15 is it...

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Dave

This is going to replace an existing iphone, not a new line. What should I do, take out my sim from my existing iPhone and use that one or just use the one that's in the phone? I assume if I use the one in the phone the older Sim will become inactive and NO extra fees?

CC
As we covered above, reuse your existing nano-SIM and there is no charge! There is no magic or special feature nano-SIM. Over the years, SIMs do change and need to be replace to allow access to Carrier specific features. VoLTE / HD Voice is one example where a new "SIM" was/is required. You needed/need a SIM with 26 or higher in positions 9-10 in the ICCID from the front of the SIM card. You can check this without removing your nano-SIM to check. On your iPhone, Settings, Tap General, Tap About, scroll down to the ICCID line and check your ICCID. For reference the current Version should be 27 but again 26 or higher is good.

The normal activation process for any Carrier iPhone X in the USA, when the device arrives to you, it is ready to activate using the new nano-SIM by default. The activation process will activate the new nano-SIM and deactivate the old nano-SIM during the initial iPhone X set up.

The only way that this would not happen would be if you were able purchase an AT&T iPhone X from Apple as a "Device Only" purchase. This means that you provided "NO' information like your existing phone number before the iPhone X is scanned out during the purchase process. The normal magic of paring any AT&T iPhone X to your account is done by a simple Bar Code scan by AT&T or Apple. The information is on the phone's box that is needed to make for a quick and hopefully seamless activation.

Another benefit of reusing your existing SIM is that you don't have to wait on the overloaded carrier network to enable the "New" SIM on Launch Day.

Note: No account information, no Upgrade or Activation fee!
Note: Some AT&T accounts offer free Activations & Upgrades.

Dave