Carrier Question on ATT to T-mobile switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b1scu1t, Sep 28, 2015.

1. b1scu1t macrumors regular

Hello,

I am about to switch over from ATT to T-mobile. Here's my situation.

I have 2 phones in the account(6+ contract end jan 2016, 5s contract end oct 2016). Is it possible for me to just trade in the 5s and get the ETF paid and also further use that trade to qualify for the Jump on Demand iphone 6s special($99+$13*18+$210). I am fine with paying the ETF for the 6+ and just using that phone as one of my phones in T-mobile.

Further, how does T-mobile determine what the ETF is for each of the #s. I am assuming I will not get the final statement from ATT till I port the # over to T-mobile?

Any thoughts/tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you.,
    b

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Yes, however you will need to consider the following:
    • You will need to have ATT unlock your phone or you will need to find "another source" to unlock your phone before using it on Tmobile. This process can take up to 2 weeks if done through ATT.
    • You will need to come up with all of the money up front to terminate your contract with ATT. You will then receive a final statement from ATT about a month later. You will submit the statement to TMobile for reimbursement, and approximately 8 weeks later you will receive a Visa prepaid card. You will not receive a check from Tmobile.
    • TMobile will see the amount of the ETF on both lines of your final statement, and will pay you according to that.
    Hope this helps.

3. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you noah82 for taking the time to answer my questions.

Both my phones are unlocked., so I should be good from that perspective.

The only question I have is, I am planning to turn in my unlocked 5s to make use of the new Jump on Demand iphone 6s special. I am interested in getting the 6s+ which is all sold out. What would I do when I turn in my 5s for a phone? I read somewhere, I would get another 6+ and the store would place an order for a 6s+ which I would use as one of my jump upgrades. I am just confused how T-mobile will do the jump installment payment when I am on the 6+ waiting for the 6s+?

I am primarily moving for the discounted jump on demand special they are running now.

If the inventory situation will open up in a few weeks which it probably will especially for another other than the pink color, I would rather wait and switch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I don't think that they will give you a 6+ while you wait for them to have 6s+ in stock. I'd wait for them to have the phone in stock before trying to switch over.

5. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

The woman I am working with in the store told me that they would give me a 6+ and order one to be shipped home.

I am just concerned that they may do away with this current JOD special if I were to wait.

6. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Hmm....that's news to me. I think that TMobile would have better information than anybody on these forums.

7. b1scu1t, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

Hey noah82 or any other T-mobile customer,

Does T-mobile charge any kind of activation fee or some such thing like att does when I activate a new phone in the account? That is one of my pet peeves, their nickle and diming constantly. Right now they do it even on their next plan.

Thanks,

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

They've never charged me. I've used unlocked phones and phones bought on their service, never a fee to put it on my account. AT&T and Verizon seem to be huge on those activation fees but I've never had anyone tell me they've had them with T-Mobile.

9. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Septembersrain. Any thoughts on when they will stop their current JoD iphone 6s promotion? Do they usually give a sunset date when this promotion stops?

As I am going to paying for the ETF of the 6plus(so that I don't have to buy another phone), the longer I wait the better I come out.

10. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

They do not have any of those nickel and dime upgrade fees. That's what I like about them.

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

They usually keep the promotions a couple months at least. I'd keep an eye on the website, perhaps read the fine print? It may show a date. I'm on the older JUMP program so I'm not sure about JoD and it's timeframe.

12. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

If the TMO store rep told you that, you should of taken her up on that right then and there. ;) I would go in again and talk to her and get more answers to your questions.

13. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

A question on sim cards, the ladyin the store told me there was a $15 activation fee, a friend suggested picking up the pre-paid sims which they currently have a sale online for $0.99 and take them to the store and use them instead, is this plausible?

I guess I can open my account online and get it for free, but the person in the store was very helpful and answered all my questions very well and I would rather deal with her, but there is the need to also save $ ;)

Thoughts?

14. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Go into the store, ask if they would rather you order it online or if they would give you one and waive the fee. They CAN do this...