Question on backing up iTunes Library (while keeping playcount) ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KassaNovaKaine, Oct 25, 2007.

1. KassaNovaKaine macrumors newbie

I'm planning to do a fresh restore using my Tiger install discs, before upgrading to Leopard. I've backed up all my things onto an external hard drive, except my iTunes library. Since this has always been the most complicated process for me, I was wondering if someone could help:

I did a little bit of reading, and it seems that the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files (inside the iTunes folder) hold all the other extra data (i.e. playcount & last played) for the songs.

So is it as simple as copying those 2 files into my new iTunes folder (once I reformat), and transfer the songs on my external hard drive into iTunes, using the "drag & drop method"? Will iTunes read everything properly?

Thanks in advance.

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

You can copy the entire iTunes folder to your external drive. Then once you install iTunes put that old iTunes folder in the new ones place. iTunes won't know the difference. Loads just fine.

3. KassaNovaKaine thread starter macrumors newbie

And this would retain all the song data? I know doing a simple copy and import (using iTunes) retains metadata (ratings, album art, song info) but resets everything else.

And just to clarify, if it indeed does retain everything; would I need to simply quit iTunes, replace the folders, and then re-open and iTunes would automatically have put in the songs? Or do I need to change something within the preferences?

Sorry for the excessive questions. I just don't want to mess anything up. :eek: