Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do bands with non-matching hardware annoy you?

• Total voters

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
So I'm looking to get an AWS3 when I upgrade to the iPhone X (from a 4s woohoo!)

I love the style of the stainless steel, but it's just not worth the price difference to me.
So for the sport versions I'm trying to decide between silver and grey. Generally I prefer black tech, however it seems like 90% of bands are made with silver hardware. (which is why I like that many apple ones don't use case matching hardware, it's just a color instead so it looks good on nearly all versions) I know there's some that do both, but the majority seem to be silver or polished silver to match the stainless steel version. and being able to swap lots of bands is part of why I want it (I do this as-is with my $20 timex and nylon bands)

Do you guys use bands with silver hardware? does it bug you that it doesn't match? I like the black watch, but silver hardwared bands and don't know if I can get over them not matching, so I don't know if I should just go with black and only get black hardware bands or with silver so that more bands match. What do you guys do? pics appreciated too.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
wanted to buy silver as it would imho match more bands, but was buying on day 1 (or 2) and they only had space grey or rose in the duty free shop. went with space grey out of desperation thinking it wouldn't go with brown straps, bought a brown strap and love it.

i think because its clearly a 'gadget' it doesnt matter what colour the watch is it'll go with most things.

well...except rose gold which i couldn't see going with my brown strap yeuch.

Reactions: gjr74

handsomedan1969

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
There's quite a few band makers that provide a choice of hardware for black or silver watches.
Clockwork Synergy are just one example.
Also - for a 42mm watch a 24mm strap is standard, so you can just get one set of adapters and interchange your straps - many, many 24mm straps have black buckles available.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With the silver aluminum, you can pair it just about any band with it. Ultimately comes down to what you prefer and style or how you match it. But it's much easier over the space gray sport model.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
wanted to buy silver as it would imho match more bands, but was buying on day 1 (or 2) and they only had space grey or rose in the duty free shop. went with space grey out of desperation thinking it wouldn't go with brown straps, bought a brown strap and love it.

i think because its clearly a 'gadget' it doesnt matter what colour the watch is it'll go with most things.

well...except rose gold which i couldn't see going with my brown strap yeuch.

I was planning on getting a brown leather strap as my first add on, seems to look good with black hardware just less classy, more rugged. at least solid colors look good though. I was wondering how much of a "gadget" effect there was. like having the whole thing be "black" as that's the gadget part and everything goes with it or if it's really noticeable to have a space grey watch with shiny silver mounts/clasps.

With the silver aluminum, you can pair it just about any band with it. Ultimately comes down to what you prefer and style or how you match it. But it's much easier over the space gray sport model.
I like the matching of the silver more, but I think the space grey looks better with solid color bands. Right now I've been swapping out nylon bands with a regular style watch.
Do you have the silver one yourself? do you find it matches well with shiny silver clasps and whatnot? I was thinking the SS matches really well, but since that's a little too pricey to be an option, I wasn't sure if the particular shade/texture of the silver watch really matches shiny silver stuff much better than the space grey one does.

Thank you all for your input and taking the time to help me out with this. I'm leaning towards the space grey one at the moment. But if any of you have some pictures of your watch with matching vs non-matching hardware it'd be great to see pics. Overall I think I'm going to be happy just having either of them. I'm definitely ordering the space grey iPhone x but I don't think they really match all that much anyway for that to play a part in deciding between silver and space grey for the watch.

a5LOPav.jpg
ZBcWozR.jpg
2KzYCoK.jpg

Reactions: menace3

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Doesn’t bother me...but I do have a screen that matches my band, that matches my nails.

Attachments

• F03BEE33-8E60-4BBA-B34B-7F223694BD41.jpeg
    F03BEE33-8E60-4BBA-B34B-7F223694BD41.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • 418BB5CE-4911-481D-8EB6-914C0129B0C3.jpeg
    418BB5CE-4911-481D-8EB6-914C0129B0C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.