Question on Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gamegal, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gamegal macrumors newbie

Often a friend will want to use my computer when I was just using it, so I'll give it to him/her, but I don't like the fact that my history and google searches, etc. can be seen. I tried downloading a separate browser, like Chrome, but the history is still synced between the two. Is there a way to have a completely different browser without having to log out and in to a guest user account?

I know what I'm asking for is quite unusual though and thus unlikely.

2. dakwar macrumors 6502

Having him/her use Safari in "Private Browsing" mode, or Chrome in "New Incognito Window" might work.

3. gamegal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but the history and searches still show... really "Private Browsing" is so the new web browsing won't save, I believe.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only way to do what you want is to create a separate user account for your friend. That's why that capability exists.
    That doesn't keep the friend from accessing the OP's browser history.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Turn on the Guest account in system preferences. Enable the fast user switching menu and you should be set.

6. gamegal thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'll set up that other account -- maybe the guest account. Thanks a lot.

7. Adomian macrumors newbie

Just have them use a browser you don't use. For instance, if you use Chrome, tell them to use Safari.

PS: multiple instances of Google Chrome have linked history because all of that data is stored in your Library folder, not within the app itself.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't help. The other user can still open Safari and view the OP's history. The only way to accomplish what the OP wants is to set up a separate user account, as already suggested.