Question on buying an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Casey01, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So I'm in the market to get an iPad. I've heard so much about them and that they're so great. I'm saving up bit my bit to get one. So I'm basically saying that money is slightly an issue. Is the extra $100 worth it for the iPad 2? Does the gryoscrope make a big difference?

I'm not going to use it for gaming. It's mainly going to be used as/for:

e-reader
    Photo/video/movie viewer
    Email Type up documents when not by laptop (ie school)
    News Cook Book w/videos
    Youtube
    and most of all Music!

The reason I want is for portability because chugging my laptop everywhere sucks and takes up to much space in my backpack.

2. guitardogcar macrumors member

3. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Definitely worth it to get the 2. I have both, and notice a big difference.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

6. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Especially since you say you're going to use it as a e- reader... The 2 is much better for that because it's thinner and lighter. Much more comfortable to hold. I find i use it as an ereader a lot more than i did the 1. The one felt a tad too bulky. As a matter of fact, when used the 1 I kind of still wanted a Kindle. Now that I have the 2, I've forgotten about the Kindle and am happy with my ipad 2 for reading :)

7. rtztgue macrumors regular

I was in the same boat. When Verizon had their sale for $200 off of the iPad 1. I picked that one up. Not sure if the sale is still on, or if there are any left.

8. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

It's true that 1 is fine for your needs, and if spending even $400 really hurts, go for it. However, 2 is worth easily worth $100 more. Everything will be faster and smoother, and there are some apps already that only work with IP2 or have extra features for IP2. I note that you are into music. The garageband app will work way better with IP2.

9. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Really wanna regret it for 100 bucks if you get the 1?

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The big difference is actually hidden. Apple doesn't even mention it.

The iPad 1 has 256MB of RAM to run apps.

The iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM.

That makes a big difference if you've got memory intensive apps, lots of browser tabs, or are multi-tasking/task swapping between apps often.

And who knows what iOS 5, (and iOS 6) will bring to the table as far as features and memory use.

Oh, and there is a lot of chatter on the development forums about the graphics accelerator in the new iPad 2. It's going to make a big difference as game makers release new games that take advantage of all the new effects and rendering speed the new chip brings to the table.

If you spend the extra $100, you basically are getting a better experience as well as future-proofing. You'll probably get an extra year or two out of the iPad 2.

11. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

If you really can only get the iPad 1 for a $100 cheaper than the current version than I would agree with most everyone here and say get the iPad 2. Usually this is not the case.

12. princealyy macrumors regular

I personally don't have any use for the second gen but if you cannot save 150-200 I would get the newest model so that you can always sell it for more

100 isn't enough for me to switch to gen1 and i am a firm believer in the first gen

13. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

The main reason I would get the iPad 2 is double the internal memory (256 vs 512) and the forward facing camera for Facetime.

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Money no object? Get the iPad 2

Price important? Get the iPad 1

15. Antfer macrumors member

Ding Ding. Winner