Question on buying iMac at Apple retail store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theITGuy, Jun 14, 2010.

1. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Does anyone know if I can get an iMac at the actual APPL store with the bigger keyboard with number keypad? I see that as an option on the online store...

Thanks.

-J.-

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can ask them to change the keyboard for the wired one. You may have to pay for it though. One option is to buy it separately and just sell the wireless. Wired retails for 49$ while wireless is 20$ more so in the end, you may end up getting some money by this way as if the wireless is unused (still in plastics), you may 60$ off it, at least 50$

3. theITGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Does anyone know if I can get an iMac at the actual APPL store with the bigger keyboard with number keypad? I see that as an option on the online store..."

My suggestion:

Try the factory (small, wireless) keyboard FIRST for a few days, THEN make your decision about a replacement.

You may find that you are uncomfortable with the feel of the Apple keyboard. I was. I've never gotten used to the "flat feel" of the aluminum keyboard in any of its iterations. But then, I'm an old guy who learned to type on manual (that's "non-electric"!) TYPEWRITERS. A keyboard with some "real feel" just works better for me.

There are many 3rd party USB keyboards out there that feel MUCH better. I'd suggest going to places that offer them (here there are Staples and OfficeMax and BestBuy), and doing some "test typing" on as many as you can find. Keep written notes on which you like best.

Then either buy locally or online.

5. treynolds macrumors regular

treynolds

I purchased the iMac 27" and the Apple extended keyboard to go along with it. I do ACAD and cannot function without a numeric keypad. I have not used the BT keyboard that came with the iMac that much, but plan to keep it as it is a great keyboard and will work with any device I get in the future that has BT, especially if I eventually end up getting an iPad.

Tony

6. theITGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Thanks Fishrrman...i also learnt on an old fashioned typewriter but I love the soft keyboard of my ex Macbook Pro...my wife is the one who requested the number pad I never use it slows me down :D

I talked to an online rep at applestore and they confirmed what HH said...I'd have to buy it at the store...it's a free option online...

-J.-

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is she is the only one who use/need it, you could just get an USB numpad, they cost like 10$ anyway and do their job fine

http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-C...nagement/dp/B0028Y4DB8/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3
    http://www.amazon.com/Numeric-Keypa...B-NUMSPC/dp/B002C8B1RO/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2