Question on camera kit as external storage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thekb, Mar 1, 2011.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

Will be getting the ipad 2 soon, but am looking for info on how the camera connection kit works on the ipad 1. The main use I would have for getting 32 GB instead of 16 GB is for movies for trips for my kids.

Can you store movies on an SD card and then transfer them over to the memory when you want to play a movie? Can you do that with other media, like music too?

2. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another question I forgot to ask. I already have an ipod touch synced to my computer. How will it behave when I plug in my new ipad? Will it recognize it as a new device and allow separate syncing or will it try to overwrite the imac or ipod with a new configuration? Will the ipad be separately backed up?

Thanks.

3. OSMac, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

4. poloponies Suspended

That's not accurate. You can load movie files onto a SD card's DCIM folder as long as you limit the name to 8 characters. Then delete already-viewed movies from the iPad (to make room) and you can import the movie files through the Camera Connector Kit.

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

you can. jailbreak and use an app called 'ifile'

6. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's awesome to know there is a work around for that. I think I could get by with a smaller size ipad then. I'll see what sizes and prices are announced today.

Is it only movies and photos that can be transferred that way? (Without jailbreaking, that is) I may have to consider the JB to see what else can be done.

Thanks

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

if you do not jailbreak, you must pretend that it is camera data on your sd card/usb stick. i.e. photos in your dcim folder or videos.

so no divx/xvid...

8. OSMac macrumors 65816

Thanks !