Question on Car issue.. little help please :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Redskinsfan10, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Redskinsfan10 macrumors member

I have a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L coupe. 3.0L V6

My issue is that sometimes on start up white steam comes out from exhaust pipe. Lasts about 15 secs clears up then doesn't do it again until couple of days later. Im beginning to worry, No check engine light, no coolant leaks or anything. It's about 75-90F in the morning so its not from the cold.

Any comments on this issue? Thank You so much

I will be taking it to get it checked out on friday but would love some advice on this.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The only thing I can think of is you might be burning some oil.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's normal as long as it stops shortly after you start the car.

4. Redskinsfan10 thread starter macrumors member

my other vehicles don't do this though. Is it maybe the type of car i have? (noob question)

and yes it stops like within 5-10 secs.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

That is fairly normal for an older vehicle. I have an older 1998 Chevy S10 pickup that does the same thing on startup. It stops shortly after that and everything is fine as far as normal running goes.

Unless it is burning a lot of oil, this is nothing to really worry to much over. Next time you have the oil changed (or do it yourself) ask them to let you know how much they took out of it. You can do the math from there and figure out how much oil has been burned from the time of your last oil change.

6. jk111 macrumors regular

Blue smoke would be an indication of burning oil, not white smoke.

White smoke could be condensation burning off, or you may be burning some coolant. Thicker smoke usually is coolant whereas thinner smoke is just condensation. Either way, if it only happens for a few seconds on start up I wouldn't get overly worried.

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

That would be a blue smoke, and a very strong smell good sir ;)

----------

Most cars actually do this, some cars its noticeable, some cars it is not.

As long as it stops shortly after starting the car, you are fine. Its nothing to worry about. What it probably is, is some condensation in the exhaust manifold turning into steam and going out the exhaust. And yes, your manifold heats up pretty much instantly.

[/COLOR]
    Indeed, also if his head gasket is leaking, it won't stop after a few seconds. So its just some condensation in the exhaust manifold on start up.

Cool trick my grandpa showed me, on any car that uses the good ole green coolant. If you think the HG might be leaking, hold your finger inside the tail pipe for a few seconds and taste your finger afterwards.

If it feels sticky and tastes like candy, you have a blown Head Gasket :D

8. Redskinsfan10 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all so much. I just don't get why mine does it and others don't.. There has to be something going on there

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's water/condensation in the exhaust. Could be from the car cooling down. The night before as air is drawn in as the system cools down and the water in that air condenses in the exhaust. Or it would be from washing the car or rain it a number of things. But if it stops after a few seconds nothing is wrong

10. Redskinsfan10 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll have to worry once it just starts going on and doesn't stop huh. I'll have it checked tomorrow. Thank you!

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think it means your car elected a new pope.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You'll be wasting money getting it checked.

13. Redskinsfan10 thread starter macrumors member

I'm doing an oil change so I'll ask while I'm at it.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Or we have a new pope.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Water vapor is natural sub product of a gas engine combustion after the catalytic converter . The difference between one car model to another is because each may have a different catalytic converter and muffler setup and the temp they reach while starting them.
    In high humidity areas you will notice more this.
    If there was any indication of burning oil or a coolant leak you will smell it and the exhaust gases will be of different color and will last for longer time. Another thing is that the exhaust gas recirculating operation is different from one vehicle to another.
    Nothing to worry, unless it really bothers you then get an electric car.

----------

#

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is a good plan. If you have the problem inspected, they'll probably find 20 other minor issues that will cost a combined $500 to fix.