Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Ok here is the deal

I have accepted a job way back in August across the US. Had to wait on security clearance and will start next month.

However, this company has had poor communication with me. What I mean is that I am suppose to receive a relocation package and have not been contacted. I have yet to receive it and we are now approaching the holiday season and am skeptical on being reached this week due to Xmas. I have contacted HR about this and nothing seems to happen.

I can't afford to move out there (in terms of moving truck and deposit on apartment) without this relocation package. I have called HR and they told me to call them a week or two ago if I hadn't received it. I did and then they said I would hear from them last week about it. I didn't.

Needless to say, I'm getting frustrated as I had an apartment picked out and now its gone. I have another one picked out and I was told I'm not the only one looking at it. I would like to be out there by the 1st to give me a couple days to settle in before I start. Well the 1st is really close and I can't lock down a residence without this relocation package and afford a moving truck. I do not have 3 thousand in affordable cash right now to accomplish both of those things

In addition, my manager called me 3 weeks ago (missed the call by a few minutes) and told me to call him back. I have so 5 times including right after he called and then over the course of the next week and a half, leaving messages 3 of those times and have not been called back. This doesn't seem professional and it's his voice mail for sure as its set up with him talking.

This behavior has me questioning the offer of the job and if it's still there. I do not want to get myself in a lease and then be stuck with it and no job. They never told me it wasn't there but their behavior has led me to feel insecure.

I should also note that when I accepted the job in August, it was at a different compensation and manager and company (sorta) than it is currently. The company has yet to send me a new offer letter with the updated info (I was told of the different salary and manger via phone....nothing written)

I guess my question is this. I had emailed them an acceptance letter saying I accept the position at the old salary and under old manager back in August. Is this a legal binding agreement? Even though the terms have changed since.

I would like to work there as I think it's a great field, it's just that I'm not feeling confident and am feeling neglected by the company in both my manager not contacting me or even the HR at times.

Hypothetically if worst came to worst, do I have to follow up on accepting the job? If I decided to not take it, could they come after me legally in terms of expenses occurred such as the background check and flights out there for physical and what not? I plan on taking it but if I don't hear from them soon, I may have to reconsider my options. I figure if I am being treated this way now, what will it be like later?

Anyone care to lend advice? Thanks

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
anyone?

i called today and the HR person sounded surprised(again) and said id definitely hear back today concerning relocation.

i didnt (im not surprised anymore on my end)

now people are having vacations and i feel completely neglected. the want me to start in a couple weeks and i do not have the funds to lock down a place and pay for the moving expenses

this is so frustrating, its not even funny

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm sorry to say this, but it sounds like you got dumped. You only had a first date, so they didn't feel like they had to break up with you face-to-face.

Reason: Recession and all that....

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Could they come after me legally if i dont go? i really do get the felling im being brushed off in a sense. if im being brushed aside, why would they not tell me when i call them?

but if im not and they are just really really dragging their feet, i dont want to be sued or something. however, it is getting ridiculous at this point imo

i will say at this point, even if i get the package, i am somewhat hesitant to go as this might be a tale of things to come

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Could they come after me legally if i dont go?

I can't imagine they could unless they've already given you an advance against your future salary or moving expenses or some such. They probably need to have suffered some sort of "damages" to take any legal action against you

i really do get the felling im being brushed off in a sense. if im being brushed aside, why would they not tell me when i call them?''

I think it's premature to assume that you're getting the brush off.......but if that's the case, the HR people you've talked to might not even know that's what's happening. For example, some manager somewhere might have been told to reduce expenses and if he's choosing to do it by not accepting any more new staff, well, HR might not have been told yet......or some secretary might have misplaced your paper work, or.....ugh, too many possibilities to even try to out guess the situation

but if im not and they are just really really dragging their feet, i dont want to be sued or something. however, it is getting ridiculous at this point imo

i will say at this point, even if i get the package, i am somewhat hesitant to go as this might be a tale of things to come

it's certainly not the most encouraging way to start a new job! But give them a chance until you know what's really going on.

I think you have to get on the phone and start making more calls. Call anyone you can think of until you get an answer......the first manager, the second manager, call the people you dealt with back when you interviewed, etc.........it's too bad it's the holidays as that will only make it harder to get ahold of people, but you just have to keep at it until you figure out what's going on.

The work world is like this sometimes, so hang in there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.