Question on clamshell mode...heat/fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JMB1911, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I have my 2011 13 i5 air hooked up to my 27ACD at work. I would like to use it in clamshell mode, however when i do it gets warmer and the fan is on quite a bit more.

I don't really mind the noise, but i was wondering if it is bad to have the fan on all day like that. Is it designed to be able to be on all the time without wearing it out prematurely?

the reason I want to use it in clamshell mode is that I don't want the screen on the air to just sit there all day with the same background pic on it. Is it bad for it to sit there all day without the screen ever really changing?

sorry for the newb questions..

thanks

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I run mine in clamshell mode all day as well, but I rarely hear the fan. I wouldn't worry about it hurting the unit.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

I run my 2010 MBA in clamshell mode with a Dell 22" IPS display, and with Safari, iCal, and Word open, it runs about 47C. I use a Radtech screen protector folded in half and placed over the touchpad to open a slight space to allow more air to flow in through the keyboard.

4. mireki1975 macrumors member

is it dangerous for the screen when the air is in clamshell mode?

i have read some threads / articels that the head of the keyboard is not the lowest... maybe the screen can be damaged?

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816