Question on cloning adrive for SSD upgrade and the Bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tombs, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Hi MacRumours land as in the title does anyone know (or have done it?) if I upgrade my HD in my 13" 2012 mbp to an SSD using cloning software will can it literally transfer both the OS and the bootcamp partition (running Win 7) and all the settings etc?

Thanks for any advice and help in advance.:)

2. LS3 Machine macrumors member

Yeah do a search here on the forum. There are lots of instructions on how to do it. I just did it using CCC, it was easy. Im coming from windows world.

3. Tombs thread starter macrumors regular

Tombs

Thanks LS3, I have had alook around and yes there are a ton of links to cloning the HD etc but nothing re those that have a bootcamp partition with Win 7 installed. I have all my work (emails, word and excel documents) on the bootcamp partition so am a little concerned thats this may not work. Do you have win 7 installed on yours?

4. LS3 Machine macrumors member

No Im sorry I don't, but CCC should do it, it copied my Mac recovery partition, so I'm sure it will copy your windows partition.

5. Brettka7 macrumors regular

You have to find a way to create a partition and clone it to that partition afaik. I ended up just reinstalling windows on the ssd.

6. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

While you have to purchase it (it used to be free I think), winclone is a useful program. It makes your windows (operating system, and everything else) into one file, and then you can remove windows if you want, and if you wish to re-add your bootcamp partition but decided to add smaller partition or larger partition for your bootcamp, winclone restores the disk image into bootcamp and makes it just like how it was before (just with a smaller or larger bootcamp hard drive depending on how you set the partition), and you don't have to reinstall the operating system either. Whether or not you have to reactivate windows, I'm not sure

7. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

From the CCC help page;

Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
    CCC can back up the contents of the Boot Camp partition, but it cannot make a bootable clone of the partition. If your goal is to back up your user data on the Boot Camp partition, CCC will meet your needs. If you're looking to migrate your Boot Camp partition to a new hard drive, you might consider an alternative solution such as WinClone, or one of the commercial virtualization solutions that offer a migration strategy from Boot Camp.

"Will CCC clone both my Mac OS X and Windows partition at the same time?"

No, CCC will copy only one volume at a time, and CCC will not modify the partitioning of the destination disk. You should apply your custom partitioning prior to restoring anything to your new disk.

"I'm migrating to a larger disk, will CCC work for my Windows volume?"

No, CCC will not create a bootable backup of your Windows volume. Creating a bootable backup of Mac OS X is mostly trivial. For Windows, there are numerous tweaks that have to be made — you must update the boot sector of the root target device to point to the correct start sector of NTFS volume, the boot.ini may need to be updated with the slice number of the partition, you have to restore the MBR, you must synchronize the GPT and MBR partition tables. Windows Vista+ has yet more requirements.

There is a significant amount of time and research involved in creating a supportable and consistently reliable utility for making bootable clones of Windows. We're still evaluating whether to add this feature to a future version of CCC, and we welcome your feedback to that effect.

http://help.bombich.com/kb/troubleshooting/can-ccc-back-up-my-bootcamp-windows-partition

8. Tombs thread starter macrumors regular

Tombs