Question on donations to this forum!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Choctaw, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I have donated to this forum but have been concerned that my donation will automatically renew without my permission. I read the following which indicated an automatic renewal, in certain situations, but don't understand what VALIDITY PERIODS MARKED MEANS. Please advise.

Validity periods marked * indicate that purchasing this subscription is recurring, this means after the period is complete it will automatically be renewed.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Your membership is a manual renewal, not automatic. I believe you will be sent an email reminder to renew, if you choose, about 30 days before it expires.

3. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Thank you for your quick reply, I do enjoy having this forum available with information for the users. I will renew my donation at the end of the current year. But do think the wording at the bottom of the donation page should be taken down or explained clearly, for it appeared to mean an automatic recurring donation. See text below as noted from the donation page.

Validity periods marked * indicate that purchasing this subscription is recurring, this means after the period is complete it will automatically be renewed.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'll pass that on to the admins.
    Thanks

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We've change the message. Even though it was technically correct, it was confusing.

The message about "Validity periods marked *" was referring to choices with asterisks in the Cost drop-down list. The drop-down had only one choice, without an asterisk, so the message was at best useless.

The message now makes clear that memberships do not auto-renew. We also addressed another question that's come up occasionally. If you renew early you don't lose any days of membership; your next year is added onto the end of your current membership.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Cheers for making the correction which might even add to members donating to MacRumors by understanding that it is only a yearly choice, not an automatic occurring situation.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I stopped donating when I found out Arn uses the money for hookers and blow at WWDC and doesn't even include the mods. ;)

8. jmm007, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

jmm007 macrumors newbie

jmm007

Does a paid membership give you an instant custom avatar?

9. simsaladimbamba

No, for that you still need 500 posts.