question on ebay selling (international)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikejd1, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

Ok, i have a buyer who is ready to do a BUY IT NOW, but is international. The guy it now is blocking him from purchasing due to his international address, and the auction is under 12 hours now, so i cant change that option. The buyer still wants to use buy it now, so he asked me if it was ok for him to set up a "virtual USA" address so that ebay will allow this, he would email me his real address, and still use buy it now.

My question is, the buyer seems to be legit (he is in Italy) and wants to use the buy it now option. Would i still be safe by Paypal to receive my funds and have the thing secured by paypal if the buyer does this??

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

If he changes his address only on eBay, and not Paypal, I don't think it will matter. As long as he has positive feedback and is Paypal verified, you should be safe. Don't take my word for it though.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I would call Paypal to verify. The whole situation sounds a little fishy. If you do decide to sell to this guy, make sure you require a signature upon delivery and keep everything within ebay and paypal. If you stray from any of those 3 then you run the risk of getting burned.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

How does that work? :confused:
    I have bought things from the US sellers on eBay where it has been specified (Local/US buyers ONLY!) after emailing the seller and getting the OK.

This whole "virtual USA address" sounds a bit suspicious to me.

5. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Its a very big gamble. Basically if the buyer is not confirmed and his addressed is not confirmed also. You will not be protected from paypal if something goes wrong. I wouldn't do it, way too much risk.

6. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i just called paypal, they are useless.....

anyway, the buyer now asked to do the transfer directly THROUGH paypal bypassing ebay, once the transfer is in Paypal, wouldnt i just transfer the funds to my bank account and i should be all set??

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Devious PayPal can always remove the funds from your bank account.
    They can be real c***s.

8. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i check if the buyers address is confirmed? He says it is, and he says the risk is all on his side since he is sending the funds to ME through paypal...

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

WALK AWAY NOW!!! 99.9% sure that this guy is trying to scam you. As soon as you leave the ebay system all your protections go out the window.

Remember that you can't go by their user rating on ebay alone. Many accounts get phished because most users are idiots. When I had my iPhone for sale on ebay last year I got at least 2 scammers trying to coax me to sell outside of ebay, both with ratings that were pretty high. Several days after my auction ended I got a warning email from ebay about one of the users that was contacting me that their account may have been compromised. Nice of ebay to let me know after the fact. I didn't sell to them though and was finally able to sell to a legit person. BE VERY CAREFUL!

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

+1

On PayPal's site, you should see a line that says "confirmed address" or "verified address" with his info. If not, he's not confirmed.

Remember, if he claims whatever you send him isn't working or that he never got it, PayPal can pull the funds back out of your bank without getting your permission. Do a Google search, and you'll see it's a common scam.

11. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is the issue he is seeing, it seems like a legit problem

"Shipping costs cannot be calculated for this item because the shipping calculator is currently unavailable or the seller has not specified shipping costs to your currently selected address. "

So he is TRULY trying to buy this thing...

12. diabolic macrumors 68000

Do you have the option of cancelling the auction, relisting it to allow international buyers, and emailing him the link to the new one? You could even make him pay for the relisting.

13. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, i am on the phone with ebay now, this is what ebay wants to do and they will do it for me

14. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Yeah, it sounds like he is truly trying to buy from you, problem is... They guy is probably doing it with someone else's account. Happened to me once. I of course did not ship, but the money had been transfered and less than a day later paypal had taken it back and told me it was fraudulent. And that was WITHOUT leaving eBay's system.

You need to go through eBay, ship to a PayPal confirmed address, and get tracking info. If you fail to do one of these, you very well may end up out of an iPhone and out your money.

15. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, but as long as i get the tracking, ship to confirmed address and STICK with doing it through Paypal, i should be covered?

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like he is trying to scam you, since he specifically said risk falls on him, when anyone who has money to spend would actually read up on paypal policies and know that's not true.

NO. Only works in a few countries last time I checked.

17. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is the buyer protection policy

PayPal Buyer Protection
    PayPal offers more than just quick checkout on eBay. We also help keep your identity and financial info secure. Plus, with PayPal Buyer Protection, we cover all your eligible eBay items for the full purchase
    price-with no limits and at no additional cost. So go ahead, shop with confidence. PayPal is with you
    every step of the way.
    Eligible transactions are covered
    PayPal protects you when you don't receive an eBay item you've bought, or if an item you've received is significantly different than it was described.
    To qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection, you must meet all of these requirements:

* Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.

* Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments-like a deposit followed by a final payment-are not eligible.

* Send the payment to the seller through:
    o The eBay "Pay Now" button, or
    o The eBay invoice, or
    o The "Send Money" tab on your PayPal account overview page by selecting "Pay for eBay Items" and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number.

* Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment-then follow the online dispute resolution process.

* Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

Doesnt say anything about certain countries?