Question on Erase all Content and Settings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vijay007, May 18, 2010.

1. vijay007 macrumors regular

I have a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3GS (3.1.2 & 05.11.07) which has a few phone numbers and sms stored. Cydia, Rock and BlackRa1n icons are also there on the Springboard.

I am selling it tonight and have to clear off all the stored content.

Can I use the Erase all Content and Settings to do this? Will this not impact the jailbreak (Cydia, Rock) and unlock?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, it will impact everything and may make it very hard to restore it again.

Your safest avenue is to restore it to get rid of your information, but then you'd have to rejailbreak and reunlock, being careful not to upgrade to the 5.12.01 baseband or the 3.1.3 OS, which would lose your unlock capability.

If you want to avoid all that, you can just resync the phone with contacts, etc. that have no data or delete it manually on the phone. Someone "could" still get the data, but it would be extremely hard to retrieve it and most wouldn't bother.

3. vijay007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. The phone just has 2-3 numbers and a couple of sms since I was using it only for a couple of days after jailbreak and unlock. I will delete them manually instead of bothering to do all that.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Erase All Content and Settings, erases ALL content and settings, including the OS. :)

If selling your device, I would recommend you do this, restore and rejailbreak to ensure that all your personal data and items previously deleted are actually removed from the flash drive.

5. vijay007 thread starter macrumors regular

I did a erase all content and settings just before I did the jailbreak/unlock last Sunday. After that, I did not load anything except for 2-3 numbers in the Call History and a couple of sms from people who enquired about buying my iPhone. I guess it should be fine to just delete them since none of it is sensitive.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You'll buy it from him if he can't restore it, right?:)

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Uh, no. :)

8. thundermustard macrumors regular

Even though I am not planning on returning my iPhone I decided to take it from being Jailbroken to a factory state.
    The reason is each time I have jailbroken and set it up, my ATT signal drops out in strong coverage areas.
    I did a DFU restore to 3.1.2 and made it a new iPhone.
    So today I was going back in and logging in to all the various apps. The ESPN Scoreboard app had my settings saved. Teams, sports, etc.
    Kinda weird.
    It was the only one that seemed to keep it's data.

9. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Ugh, I am beginning to wish that once you jailbreak your iDevice they block that feature from being used because despite its convenience to those non-Third-Party-Software-Users, it is a hassle for those 1:10 people who jailbreak cause it is cool and makes "my phone look like a badass" however what has happened to me when I clicked that feature was it tries to go to the Connect to iTunes screen, or the Slide for Emergency Call screen and some third party software hack that wasn't removed correctly is enabling it to do that, this causes the phone to show a loading circle on the apple logo and it will just keep doing that. The way I have been able to fix it is to put it into recovery mode, plugging it into a charger whilst holding the home button and then restoring it, then doing another restore with DFU mode to fully get rid of all the jailbroken features and hacks.

10. just2 macrumors newbie

So what happens from there? I can get the phone into DFU mode, but itunes doesn't recognise it as the phone I backed up last night! It simply has this phone listed as 'iphone' and there is only one tab at the top called 'summary'. itunes informs you of the usual "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode... etc, etc" but will not show previous backups as a restore option.

How do I/or can I utilise the back up I completed last night before I stupidly hit the 'erase all content and settings' button and placed the phone into a black death white apple logo screen that refreshes every now and then?

The phone is a 3G 8Gb and was running 3.1.2 with bootload 05.11.07. I obviously don't want to complete a regular restore (due to 3.1.3 not being able to be Jailbroken) I am macintosh based and am hoping and praying that
    there are a couple of smarties out there that may have a solution for me.

Thanks in advance
    David

11. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Heres the best solution I can give you.

This will recovery, most "semi-bricked" phones and those who pushed the "Erase All Content and Settings" button

Put iPhone in DFU Mode >> Connect to iTunes >> iTunes will recognize your iPhone as an iPhone in recovery(DFU) mode >> Make sure that you have the 3.1.2 Software downloaded on your computer >> Shift Click "Restore" in the iPhone tab, locate your firmware (.ipsw) file and use it to "Restore" >> Restored >> After Restore, your iPhone will come up as "Username's" iPhone, >> A screen will say "Set Up as New Phone," or "Back up phone from latest back up" and a drop down list will pop up showing the back up.

READ THIS: Make sure that your iDevice is recongized as a iPhone in Recovery Mode, if it is not recognized in iTunes try another computer or another cord, or a known 2.0 USB outlet in your computer/mac

12. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

None of that will work on his iphone, a 3gs

13. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

How does that not work, and I was giving that for Just because he asked how to do this.

How does being 3GS change that.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He’s responding to just2, who has a 3G.

You can’t option-restore or shift-restore a 3GS, IIRC.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can certainly shift-restore or option-restore a 3GS, but only for firmware versions Apple will still sign or for which your phone has saved SHSHs. If OP has his SHSH on file or saved locally, he can follow Naethyn's procedure; if not, he can only restore to 3.1.3.

Alternatively, since his phone is currently pwned, he can shift-restore or option-restore to a custom 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 firmware.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What I meant. Most don’t have them saved.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, three million do. ;-)

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, most that post on here. :D

19. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

I dont understand the saved part? SHSH? @(>.<)@ Confused Monkey!

Ummm...If a phone has been pwned, or jailbroken, it can be Shift-Restored, because my friend bought an iPhone 3GS about six months ago(She got it in the stock 3.0 Software) and she jailbroke it with redsn0w on 3.1.2 and still has the .ipsw file and she does constant restores because she tries making and scripting her own app and its not working for her and its a long and sad story...

But explain to me what should be saved...I planned on getting an iPhone 3GS and activating it and giving it to someone to use as a bigger better iPod touch.

20. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://www.saurik.com/id/12