Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Hey folks,

Just curious if there are any capabilities you miss out on with a Mini/external superdrive, and if there are any downfalls to a Mac-compatible external DVD writer.

I remember reading something in the past about not being able to burn/rip certain forms of media, but I really have no idea how credible that information was. But with a refresh apparently coming, I'll ultimately have a big choice as to whether I upgrade to a new setup using a Mini or another iMac.

Was hoping I could just search for this, but with searching currently disabled, I thought I'd pose it in the simplest terms I could.

Nov 28, 2010
located
External ODDs are quite okay, they do not need to be Mac OS X compatible. I once purchased an LG ODD (DVD writer) in 2007 and used it with my 2004 iBook and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger quite okay. I ripped several video DVDs, audio CDs and burned several data DVDs (over a hundred or so) without problems, except with incompatible DVD media (incompatible with the drive, not with the OS).
The only limitation I know is with region codes for DVDs, but that is the same with internal ODDs.
And for search you can always use MRoogle.

Team Timm

macrumors regular
May 17, 2012
FL
SuperDrive is amazing. Cost a bit more than other competitors but if your desk is all apple, why not make it complete with a SuperDrive.

But yes, other drives should work with no problem with no missing features except not looking as sleek.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I remember reading something in the past about not being able to burn/rip certain forms of media, but I really have no idea how credible that information was. But with a refresh apparently coming, I'll ultimately have a big choice as to whether I upgrade to a new setup using a Mini or another iMac.

Was hoping I could just search for this, but with searching currently disabled, I thought I'd pose it in the simplest terms I could.

I use an external Blu-Ray Player/DVD Burner for my Optical drive. The only thing I lost using it, is that iDVD won't play DVD's from it. However, VLC seems to fix that just fine for the few I needed it for. I couldn't justify buying a Superdrive when for a few bucks more I could get a white Blu-Ray Reader.... I have both a "slim" one for my Macbook Air and a normal Desktop Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Burner for my Mac Mini....

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
The guts of the purty Apple Super Drive is the same poorly-constructed DVD drive that the company has been using for years. If any hardware component is going to break with regular use it will be the so-called Super Drive...

Save some money and buy another external drive. There are some highly rated DVD drives available from Amazon for $40-$50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.