Question on family plan with Iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Enlite, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Enlite macrumors newbie

Ok, so my we're finally getting rid of Sprint on August 15. And I'm planning on getting an Iphone, I believe my dad might get one too. There are 4 of us in the family. So how would this work, we pay for a voice plan that covers the whole family, then we pay for 2 data plans, one for my father, and one for myself?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You'll be ok, there were people getting 4-5 iPhones, so give it a shot...I made the move to AT&T from Sprint and I set-up two iPhones and data plans, one BB with data plan and a KRAZR with data plan as well.:cool:

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes that is how it would work. Any plan plus two data plans. Good luck.

4. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yes just make sure to pick a normal AT&T family plan and not a iphone plan that way you can have mixed devices (iphones and normal phones).

Remember the plans posted online include 2 lines so to add 2 additional iphones to the plan (4 total phones) you will be adding $9.99 for each line + $30 for data per line for a total increase of $80.

If any of your family text messages a lot there is a option to add unlimited text messages for $29.99 for ALL lines. However if only 1 or 2 lines text you can add text messaging to each line for $5-$20 depending on how many messages (200 for $5-unlimited for $20).

If this confuses you just walk into any AT&T store and they should be more then happy to help.

6. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, thank you Diode. That just cleared up something I was about to ask about the family plan. Cause I just saw the family plan for iphones, which got me thinking whehter or not the regular family plans would work at all.
    Also I figure that I do text a hell of alot, but I'm hoping I can just use AIM for the iphone in place of the SMS. Cause some of my buddies do usually alway stay on AIM for their mobile devices, where as I, at the moment cannot use it on my current sprint phone.

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea while I'm not sure about adding regular phones to the iphone plans as additional lines (You may very well can) it will make things easier down the line in case you decide to get rid of the iphone. If your on a normal AT&T plan a simple call will remove the iphone data plan vs having to go through the hassle of changing plans.

8. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually there is one last question. Our old phone numbers. How will I port my sprint number over to AT&T when I end up getting the Iphone? Will I first need to keep the account open and sign up with AT&T? Or can we just cancel our Sprint on that date, and port the numbers over when we sign up with AT&T?

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you need to keep your account open.. if you cancel your sprint account you will lose your numbers forever. i also recommend going into a ATT store for all of this rather than an apple store because they can answer your questions with more knowledge. good luck.

10. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

So would that mean I should buy my iphone from the AT&T store instead of an apple store? Or does it really matter?

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

If you are porting 4 numbers, activating 2 iPhones, and two regular phones i highly suggest going to an ATT store. Even if you get it from ATT, apple is the place to go for problems, questions, or anything related to the iPhone. My only advice is let the carrier handler the carrier work, especially when you are talking about porting 4 numbers over. Since your plan ends August 15th, i doubt you will have any problem getting the color and size you want. good luck.

12. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea ok, thank you for the response. Helps me greatly.

13. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well this has been on my mind since this morning... So what is being said is that, lets say I get a Family plan thats $69.99 for 700 minutes. So that includes the first two lines, now, I'd be getting one Iphone for myself, and one for my father. Thats 20 dollars for 2 more lines, and then 60 more for data plan for each of us. Now that would make it about $150 a month?
    Then I go and see the "Iphone" family plan. Which gets me thinking, will they really allow me to get a regular family plan and just add two iphone lines for just 9.99 more a month?

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Yes they will allow you to get the family plan and have to iPhones. The iPhones are nothing special when it comes to plans. They just like every other phone that ATT has. The only difference is that they "require" you to have a data plan. If you take a look at the iPhone family plan, its $130. if you add two more lines, its the same exact scenario that you wrote above. I suggest going into the ATT store and talking with them so you have a better understanding. Good luck