question on faxing through the iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zan1976, Feb 11, 2013.

1. zan1976 macrumors newbie

Hello to everyone!
    So here's the problem. I have an iMac with Mac OS X on it. My work requires that I send a great number of faxes to various sources (outdated, I know). I mean, I may have to send the same fax to 300 schools of the area.

Now I do have a fax machine, which is also a printer, and is connected to the Mac as a printer. Sending each fax separately, however, is quite cumbersome. I was wondering if there's a way I can send those faxes via e-mail, where I can conveniently group all contacts and send them in bulk, instead of manually punching every number on the fax machine.

I am aware that this is possible with a fax modem. I do not have one. However, I have a fully functioning fax machine connected to the computer. Is there a way to make the fax machine act as a fax modem and allow me to send the faxes "in a software instead of a hardware way"? Or should I just go and buy a fax modem? The additional problem with this is that I have yet to find one with drivers for Mac, they're all for Windows.

Thanks for your time!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. zan1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Me and the wife have a puppet show and we try to promote it to schools. We live in Greece, where not all schools have emails.
    From what little I have researched, online fax services are either paid for, or the free service allows for something like 1 fax per day with an ad on it (not very good for our image...). As faxing is our practice on a regular basis, I'd say the fax modem would be more economical than paying an online service.
    But going back to my question: Is there a way to make the fax machine act as a fax modem?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

To fax 300 odd clients your phone line will probably be tied up for most of the day.

Unless your fax machine has a USB port and drivers for OSX then no. Some modern all in one printer / scanners have faxing built in. Brother makes some, check to see if they offer bulk faxing and OSX plug ins.

5. zan1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

The fax machine has a usb port (that's how it's connected to the Mac) and is a printer and a scanner as well. It's the epson stylus office bx 300 f. I don't know about drivers and plug-ins though.

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

It appears that model does not have the capability you want. You will have to buy a different device to do the bulk faxing though your iMac.

7. zan1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I buy a fax modem will I be able to bulk fax?

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I don't know. I don't use my mac to send faxes.

I don't mean to be rude, but I already took the time to read the manual of your printer to give you the first answer. You should do some research of your own to find out what your options are. Find some fax modems, read the manual (usually available online), maybe even write the manufacturer and ask them.

9. jxnbay88 macrumors newbie

Hello zan1976, the easiest way for you is to get an Online Fax, it is cheaper and you don't need any fax machines. Personally I use Popfax- http://www.popfax.com and it works perfectly with Mac, you need is to enter in your Online Fax Account and send faxes from there, or you can send faxes directly from your email or smart phone.