Question on File Movement to Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JerseyBill, Jun 5, 2010.

1. JerseyBill macrumors member

I am loving my new MBP to death but still grinding my teeth about some of the transitions to the Mac world... Two questions -

• I can click on my Bootcamp partition and see the files - why can't I copy and paste files between the two partitions? How do people do this? I am running OS X and Windows 7 in either partition - both 64 bit.
    • Ok - simple file management here that is driving me crazy... Copying a big directory as an over-write to another directory - and it gives me the "do you want to replace this directory" message... I click no - and am amazed to discover that anything new in that directory is NOT copied over. Is there any way - other than just replacing EVERYTHING - to copy a directory over when you just want to add every new file no matter what directory it is in ??? This would be a non-issue in Win 7

Thanks for your help everyone. This forum has helped me in many ways to have a great transition to the Mac environment...

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

To the first question you ask, you need to install NTFS-3G. It's a free driver package that allows you to read and write to NTFS partitions. There are also commercial applications, but unless you find yourself frequently using NTFS partitions, I think NTFS-3G will suffice. You can find it here: http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

I unfortunately don't know of any way around the problem of your second query; perhaps someone else does.

3. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

You can enable native (yes, native) NTFS write support if you have Snow Leopard.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785376

Far better than NTFS-3G, and without many of the headaches that (at least I) have suffered while using it.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

This is not a viable solution as the driver is not mature. You are risking data loss or corruption by doing this. If it works for you that's fine, but I wouldn't go around recommending it to others.

5. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Sorry, what has been shown to be flaky about it? Apple has obviously disabled it for a reason, but I've never found any documentation or testimonials as to its instability. :eek:

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you look around here a bit you should be able to find some testimonials to its immaturity. Additionally, there are some more here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382 It's just not ready for primetime.

7. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for that. While I have yet to have problems with it, it's good to know both sides.

Seems unfair that I'd've had more problems with NTFS-3G than with an untested, unimplemented function of the OS... :rolleyes:

8. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex