Question on Fusion Migration

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bkxmnr, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

If I migrate my W7 machine to my Mac mini, will Windows make me reactivate the license? Is that even a big deal? If I use the ethernet cable option, will I need just the regular ethernet cable or a crossover cable? Thanks,

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

1) It's somewhat at the whim of Microsoft. I've had to reactivate occasionally even just from upgrading VMWare Tools.

2) It's generally not a big deal, however if the license you are migrating is an OEM license that came with the machine or was purchased as a System Builder pack you will likely not be able to activate online and will have to deal with phone activation (either automated or in person). Odds are they will let it activate, but for OEM licenses they are not obligated to by the license. (It explicitly does not grant you any transfer rights).

3) Macs are generally smart enough to not need crossover cables. If they detect they are connected "backwards" they just switch transmit and receive in the port.

B