Question on GPS for iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trunksu, Jul 3, 2008.

1. trunksu macrumors 6502

Hi,

i was curious about whether or not the iPhone 3G's GPS will have voice turn by turn instructions? I've watched the guide and the keynote posted by Apple but they mention nothing of it. Thanks :)

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

No, the iPhone 3G's GPS functionality will not have voiced turn-by-turn directions.

If step-by-step detailed instructions are needed, the user will have to step-by-step through the route, manually.

R-Fly

3. Juo100 macrumors regular

4. trunksu thread starter macrumors 6502

k thanks :) was hoping it would because in California we're not allowed to use cell phones while driving (you can use a hands-free). don't want a police officer to confuse me using a phone vs looking at GPS.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The iPhone could have additional software that did that. E.g. TomTom. But by itself, as it stands, no vocal turn by turn. You can get visual turn by turn via Google Maps.

6. trunksu thread starter macrumors 6502

7. trunksu thread starter macrumors 6502

big thanks to everyone for the quick response :)

one more question. does anyone know if the GPS REQUIRES the 3G network? sorry i'm a newb on this type of technology but watching the keynote, the way Steve Jobs introduced it implied that it required 3G? so if i have no bars to AT&T the GPS won't work either?

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the new law does pose an interesting problem, but there still is a big difference between holding a phone to your ear and having it in front of you, looking at directions

the law doesn't say anything about a cell phone other than talking on it without a handsfree.

you can technically text still

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Which is pretty ridiculous...way more dangerous than talking on the phone.

10. trunksu thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but it would be annoying if they still pull me over and have to have that discussion about it.

i can't remember but i think when u use a TomTom or Garmin there's this warning that you're not suppose to use the GPS while driving either?

11. tritonj macrumors 6502a

Garmin has a disclaimer when you turn it on about keeping your eyes on the road i believe

the bad part is if you get pulled over it won't be much of a discussion, you'll be getting the ticket, and you'll have to have that discussion with the judge

12. oaxa macrumors newbie

I'm sure there will be 3rd party holders that will put on the dash...hence hands free;)
    http://www.proclipusa.com/choosecountry/choosecountry.aspx

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Not 3G specifically.

But it does need some form of internet connection (EDGE would be just too slow for real-time tracking) cause the maps are downloaded rather than already stored like GPS systems have.

But if TomTom puts the maps in their application, then it wouldn't need internet.

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think TomTom is a cert. Especially since there is a tie with TomTom via Tele Atlas, and Google with a 5 year map contract, and then Google Maps and Apple.

Basically, Google could use the iPhone user-base to help also correct errors and update TomTom maps, via either Google Maps, and / or the upcomging TomTom app which will do turn by turn afaik.