Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Hopefully this is the right place for this question. I've done some searches, but could only find info on devices connected directly to the TV. I have an AppleTV connected a receiver and then the receiver connected to the TV. I'm looking to upgrade my old TV (doesn't support HDMI-CEC).

Wondering if with the new one, if the AppleTV signal to turn on/off on wake/sleep will also control the TV through HDMI-CEC. It currently controls the on/off of the receiver and it would be nice if it could also control the TV.

Thanks!

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
With HDMI-CEC I use my TV as the central hub. The TV connects to my various devices (ATV 4K 2022, Fire TV Cube, etc.) via HDMI-CEC so that each can turn on the TV and itself, and the TV then turns on the soundbar. HDMI-CEC has greatly simplified setting up and controlling an entertainment center! No real need to use a complicated and antiquated receiver system for that anymore.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Connection schema does not impact CEC at all.
It is a single wire that connects all HDMI sockets on all devices.
Logically, TV is designed to be the hub (device #0).
DDC_CEC.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.