Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Hopefully this is the right place for this question. I've done some searches, but could only find info on devices connected directly to the TV. I have an AppleTV connected a receiver and then the receiver connected to the TV. I'm looking to upgrade my old TV (doesn't support HDMI-CEC).

Wondering if with the new one, if the AppleTV signal to turn on/off on wake/sleep will also control the TV through HDMI-CEC. It currently controls the on/off of the receiver and it would be nice if it could also control the TV.

Thanks!

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
With HDMI-CEC I use my TV as the central hub. The TV connects to my various devices (ATV 4K 2022, Fire TV Cube, etc.) via HDMI-CEC so that each can turn on the TV and itself, and the TV then turns on the soundbar. HDMI-CEC has greatly simplified setting up and controlling an entertainment center! No real need to use a complicated and antiquated receiver system for that anymore.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Connection schema does not impact CEC at all.
It is a single wire that connects all HDMI sockets on all devices.
Logically, TV is designed to be the hub (device #0).
DDC_CEC.png

OneTraveler

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2002
End of the Earth
SOrry to bump an old thread, but wondering if anyone has information on why it would suddenly fail? Went years (literally) without problems having AppleTV plugged in to Yamaha Receiver plugged in to Samsung TV. Power button on ATV remote always would wake receiver and TV and turn off when requested. Woke up on morning recently and suddenly no love. No changes to anything in the system, just failed. Troubleshooting I've tried:
1. reset remote NO FIX
2. Check for updates and applied if available (note: don't use "smart" features of TV or Receiver so had those auto updates OFF, didn't update in the background causing initial problem) NO FIX
3. Tried various ATV software versions (public avail, dev beta, public beta) NO FIX
4. Changed ports NO FIX
5. New Cables NO FIX
6. Toggle CEC off/on on all devices - this is where it gets wonky, would seem to work but then not turn on correctly at next use.
7. system reboots. so many system reboots. NO FIX

Anyone got something I haven't tried?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Did you reboot the AppleTV remote? I know that reads odd but it's a thing.

Have you tried simplifying the connections to try to rule things out that may have failed, such as connect AppleTV direct to TV and see if that CEC is working normally. Then try some other source to Receiver to see if that CEC is working normally. Basically, apply process of elimination to see if some link in the chain has gone bad.

All this tech tends to have software updates and software updates can be the culprit.

All this tech can "crash", reboot and perhaps "reset" which then might have some deep menu item that supports CEC turned OFF now.

Do you have a second AppleTV you could slug in that ones spot and see if it will make the setup work normally? That would then tell you it's your AppleTV or your AppleTV settings. Maybe a friend has an AppleTV if you have only one?

erihp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
With HDMI-CEC I use my TV as the central hub. The TV connects to my various devices (ATV 4K 2022, Fire TV Cube, etc.) via HDMI-CEC so that each can turn on the TV and itself, and the TV then turns on the soundbar. HDMI-CEC has greatly simplified setting up and controlling an entertainment center! No real need to use a complicated and antiquated receiver system for that anymore.
People with audio setups beyond TV speakers and soundbars need AVRs.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

OneTraveler

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2002
End of the Earth
Did you reboot the AppleTV remote? I know that reads odd but it's a thing.

Have you tried simplifying the connections to try to rule things out that may have failed, such as connect AppleTV direct to TV and see if that CEC is working normally. Then try some other source to Receiver to see if that CEC is working normally. Basically, apply process of elimination to see if some link in the chain has gone bad.

All this tech tends to have software updates and software updates can be the culprit.

All this tech can "crash", reboot and perhaps "reset" which then might have some deep menu item that supports CEC turned OFF now.

Do you have a second AppleTV you could slug in that ones spot and see if it will make the setup work normally? That would then tell you it's your AppleTV or your AppleTV settings. Maybe a friend has an AppleTV if you have only one?
Yes, I have attempted all of the above to no effect (except the other AppleTV...my other two are older devices w/o Siri Remote and full CEC control.

Its odd to me that it resets almost on the daily now for an undetermined reason (and without any system change, ie new equipment/setup/software/etc).

Frustrating.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Then back to your original question in post #1: YES, a new TV capable of CEC should- assuming your Receiver is new enough to function well as a CEC middleman (which is likely)- work fine with AppleTV remote turning on/off all 3 pieces. I do that every day myself with an aging Receiver (circa about 2015 or so). I've helped multiple friends set up the same 3 connections (AppleTV to Receiver to TV) and it works fine for them too.

Your weak link for this is that OLD TV. The new one should do what you want regarding this just fine.

Else, option #2: buy yourself what is called a learning remote with macros and program it to execute macros when you hit "ON" to 1. turn on TV, 2. turn on Receiver, 3. turn on AppleTV and then volume buttons controls volume via Receiver while other buttons relevant to AppleTV control AppleTV.

CEC works but it's somewhat "black box" that users can't observe & debug in any easy way. However, the CEC functions we most want are relatively simple wants: turn my stuff on, turn my stuff off, when I switch from one source to another, make the rest switch to the new source. None of that stuff is very complicated. A remote that can execute macros can easily cover all of that... and then the user controls the sequence of events in macros (and can easily update them when anything in their setup evolves).

I have such a remote myself and I have many sources. I dedicated a button for each source as "setup" so that anyone in the household who doesn't know much about AV, can choose the mode for whatever they want to watch, click the one setup button and it gets everything set so they can enjoy whatever they want to enjoy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.