Question on how large apps will be.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edwardz, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

Hello!

I am very, very excited for this app store to come out. Just a few questions though.

How big will apps be? For example, Monkey Ball and full games like that. I remember Jobs talking about the 10 MB and what not at the keynote, so that made me wonder if they will compress the files to make them smaller. I hope that these full scale games and other apps won't be gigabytes large. Also, do you think it will become possible in the near future that games like these will be available via multiplayer with other iPhones close to you? Or even better, far away from you? Any input would be excellent. Thanks!

-K

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, most apps for jailbroken phones were ~500kb, and i imagine SDK apps being smaller as they use more 'official' code and compilers etc

also, multiplayer has been done as a trial to see if it works for jailbroken iphones, and some company may release it into an official game

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't know about average size, but I believe there is a cap of 2 gigs for any single application.

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Most apps should be pretty small. SuperMonkey Ball will be much bigger, however, I can see that being a couple hundred MB. However, i suspect they will be the same size as hacked apps which were no larger than 5MB for the average app, and as said about, maybe around 500KBs, and also as said above, apps can be no larger than 2GB, although that would be one huge phone application.

5. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

does that mean apple have lifted the 300MB limit on Apps and Games?

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

that was when people were hacking the phone. the apps are now saved on a different part of the phone. the limit is 2gb, not 300mb