Question on how Push is supposed to work

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by MBHockey, Jul 26, 2008.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Say you've got an iPhone and a MacBook Pro (the MBP has Mail.app up and running and is set up for your MobileMe account just as the iPhone is).

New email comes in to .Me and then gets pushed to both devices immediately (iPhone + MBP)?

Or will it only go to one?

It seems right now (and I know MobileMe is not fully functional yet) will only push to my iPhone if and only if Mail.app is NOT open on my MBP -- like it will only push from the cloud to a single device (and it prefers to push to my Mac) -- is this the way it is supposed to work? Or is this part of this rocky start we're all too familiar with?

2. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Several threads on this already, but you will get a push to your iPhone or iPod touch almost instantly, to your computer a few minutes after.
    I just sat here an watched an email come into my iPod touch and then a few minutes later it showed up on my mbp.

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Right...but that's not what is happening in my scenario. Besides, how is it actually supposed to work?

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have only tested on Windows and it Pushes instantly to my Desktop Client (both Outlook and Windows Live Mail) and my iPhone.

I would think it should also work the same on the Mac.

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Everything is supposed to push but because of the complications this is how it works now.

MobileMe -> iPhone/iPod Touch -> Push
    iPhone/iPod Touch -> MobileMe -> Push
    iPhone/iPod Touch -> Mac -> Push*
    Mac -> iPhone/iPod Touch -> Push*
    Mac -> MobileMe -> Sync
    MobileMe -> Mac -> Sync

*I'm not 100% certain

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I'm using mac.mail and I have mine set to get new messages every 5 minutes. Maybe a different mail app will work differently.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I am confused about your chart. Push should only happen between the Cloud (MobileMe Servers) and the Client. Not between a Cient and another Client. Of course they will indirectly because everything is Push/Sync's with the Clould.

The following should not be a direct Push.
    iPhone/iPod Touch -> Mac -> Push*
    Mac -> iPhone/iPod Touch -> Push*

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How Microsoft Push works:
    - Exchange server gets email, update contact, update calendar, etc.
    - A notification "calls" the device.
    - The device synchronizes with the server and data is pushed instantly.
    - You update device information and syncs with server which repeats the process for all other devices.