Question on how to install leopard on new internal MBP HD..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AJ Muni, Dec 26, 2007.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I just bought a new 250gb internal HD that i'm going to install into my mbp, to replace my crappy 80gb. I'm in the process right now of making my TM back-up onto my external. My question is, how do i install the leopard os onto the new HD? Or how do copy my backed-up 80gb onto my new 250gb hd?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You boot off of your OS X DVD and format the drive to HFS+ using Disk Utility.

After that you can restore from Time Machine or just clean install OS X.

Were you expecting something more difficult?

3. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I figured I needed to do that. So first step, before taking apart my mbp is to put the leopard dvd in? shut down, install HD, then start the mbp again and let it run the os dvd?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This would be after you've backed up the original drive and installed the new one.

I wouldn't wipe the original just yet either. ;)

5. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Got it Eidorian. Thanks for the quick help. I agree, I dont plan on wiping out the original anytime soon. Again thanks ;).

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now you have me tempted to upgrade my Macbook's drive even though I'm only using 40 GB. :rolleyes:

7. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Wow that was fast...literally it was only about 15-20 screws. It took me about 30 minutes just because I'm a perfectionist and wanted to put everything back into place. Not hard AT ALL. I'm currently installing leopard on the HD, and can't wait to finally be able to feast on my torrenting needs ;). Again thanks for the help.

Edit: I followed this guide

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I got a little confused with the bumpers on the HD. I found out that the metal nubs slide out... silly me, puzzled for a few minutes. I would have suggested you get an external enclosure and clone it, that's what I did, but what you did works fine. That's a Western Digital drive, yes?

9. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Yeap, its the WD Scorpio. I got a $50 best buy gift card so i went there and bought it locally. Came out to $106. I was really tempted for the 320, but the price with the gift card was too hard to pass up. That external enclosure has me thinking....:rolleyes: