Question on how to maximize SSD life in iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteelBlueTJ, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I just installed an SSD in my MId-2007 iMac. I am used to putting the computer to sleep every night before I go to bed or leave the house. I would click on the apple and click sleep. Then in the morning I would wake it up by hitting any button on the keyboard. I was reading about how SSD's don't need to be put to sleep since they don't have any moving parts. Does it hurt the SSD or shorten its life at all by sleeping and waking? I heard about sleep RAM being written each time or something. My energy savings settings are
    Computer to Sleep: Never
    Display to Sleep: 15 mins
    All other boxes are unchecked
    So should I just let the display got to sleep and not actually click the apple - then sleep?
    What do some of you guys do with SSD's?

Also another concern I had is the Safari cache. Is there a way to prevent all the caches and website history from being written onto the SSD to help lengthen it's life? Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sleeping your iMac is still alright to do with an SSD. Letting Safari write its cache to your SSD isn't going to shorten its lifespan by any noticeable amount. In fact, the iMac itself will likely die before the SSD does.

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

The only way to stop Safari from saving anything to the drive is by turning on Private Browsing; not worth it, and will not harm your drive.

Just see here for the tweaks that I'd recommend (any others are unnecessary really): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14614610

Even then, these tweaks aren't really a big deal, and aren't a must at all.

4. Tastydirt macrumors member

There's no point in doing anything special to extend your SSDs life unless you're constantly writing large amounts of data to it.