Question on iMAC G5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeC5, Mar 27, 2011.

1. MikeC5 macrumors newbie

A friend has an iMAC G5, software version 10.3.9, 1.6 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM. It still does the job but she would like to add a wireless router for laptop convenience. I can't quite figure out if this machine has the wireless networking option (which I think is required). If not, is this something that can be added without too much cost or difficulty? I know a wireless router will also be needed. It uses a DSL internet connection if that makes any difference.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

We use an older version of this USB wireless adapter on our G5 iMac. You don't have to open anything up and you get 802.11n/g/b

3. MikeC5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for posting these options. Short of opening up the case, is there any way to tell if a wireless card is already installed?, an application to look for? (sorry I'm not very Mac-savvy). If I went with the USB plug in device, I would still need to get a wireless router to broadcast the wireless signal correct?

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Click the Apple logo in the top left corner, then select System Preferences. Within the window that opens up, go to Network. Within there you should see "AirPort" listed on the left hand side if an AirPort (aka: wireless) card is installed or not.

Or, look up at the top right. There should be a small fan indicator - with bars if it's connected to a network, or empty if not. No indicator usually means no card installed. Attached screenshot shows the indicator (far left side) when connected.

Attached Files: