question on installing apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brvheart, Jun 30, 2008.

1. brvheart macrumors 6502

I am sorry for the newb question but that is what I am when comes to Mac....

I come from a windows world and ms products get grumpy when you install, uninstall, load up programs of the same type to see which one you like better etc.

I have downloaded neooffice, but I also have MS Student edition 2008. I was going to load up MS but was afraid of what the reaction to the OS would be to load it and run side by side with neo and also how it would react to being uninstalled should I not like it.

Also most MS products that I am used to take over everything, will MS office 2k8 for Mac do the same?

thanks in advanced for the help and sorry again or the newb questions.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You won't have any problems, apps don't "install" the same way on the Mac. I've got Office, iWork, and NeoOffice installed and have never experienced any cross-contamination issues.

3. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

well...I installed the app....typical long winded MS install...I dont get it, all non MS stuff has installed pretty darn snappy, now all of a sudden this one install that is MS takes forever and now brand new MBP seems to be running more sluggish....is this possible? Any hints to speed it back up to where it was fast as lightning?

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You do realize the size difference between Office 2008 and NeoOffice don't you? The sluggishness isn't from Office, if it caused sluggishness then they'd have thousands of threads about it here. If you don't like Office then why bother installing it? If you are worried about it, why not install it on an external drive and then only plug in that drive when you need to use Office?

5. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that I read a few threads (after installing) that people were seeing the same sluggishness after the office install. The HD is a 200GB 7200RPM with 133GB left free and has 4GB RAM and 512GB VC in it, so I do not see a reason that it should be sluggish in way while running that app.