Question on installing Windows with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteelBlueTJ, Aug 18, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I previously had a 2007 iMac in which I had a windows XP partition through bootcamp. Now I recently upgraded my machine to a Mac Pro. I erased the original iMac hard drive and just reinstalled OS X and wiping out the windows partition before giving it to my parents. Now I want to use one of the 4 drives in my Mac Pro as a windows drive. Do I have to go out and purchase a new copy of windows 7 or can I legally reinstall windows XP for now even though it was already installed on my old machine? Thanks

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

From MS's standpoint it really depends on the specific version of XP that you have. Licensing terms can vary.

3. mcurty macrumors newbie

Depends on your OS. Lion will not install a Windows OS on Bootcamp earlier than Win7.

4. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

Mcurty, you're jumping the gun there with the Lion comment; the OP didn't specify what OS he/she was/is using on their Mac.

Also, OP, this is the wrong forum for your question.

But since you're here...

Last time I checked, the Windows XP licensing terms allow you to install on one computer at a time. If you eradicated the previous installation of Windows, you should be able to reinstall it with no issue (legal or technical).