Question on iOS development performance of 12 in MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iHeading, May 20, 2015.

1. iHeading macrumors member

For developers out there who have used Xcode in the new 12 in MacBook for iOS development, how does the machine perform? Is it worth it? I'm only interested in performance not its keyboard, trackpad or anything else just performance.

Thank you!

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

Given how CPU intensive compiling is, I'd skip the new MacBook if you're looking a machine to do Cocoa development on.

3. iHeading thread starter macrumors member

If you bothered reading the link you posted you will see he uses text editors and scripting NOT Xcode and I specifically want to know about Xcode performance and iOS development on it.

4. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

The rMB specs are obviously not mind blowing, but in the end, it really comes down to the type and size of projects you're working on. As a project grows, you'll surely notice some slowdown at one point in time, but it's hard to predict whether this slowdown will be a show stopper or not.

I think the best way to go at it is to simply get one and stress test it as best as you can ( e.g.: throw your biggest project at it, or check out some hefty open source project and see how it handles ). You have 2 weeks of playing around at your disposal, you can either keep it or just give it back... the only inconvenience is the wait for getting your money back if you do decide to give it back.

Seeing that you'd be downgrading from a 15" rMBP, expect to be somewhat underwhelmed ( assuming that the 15" rMBP is currently not a huge overkill for your needs ).