Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattyk182

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I don't know if this is the right place for this post but I figured I'd give it a shot. I wanted to know if anyone here would use apple maps in iOS6 to travel 900 miles. I'm in CT and I will be driving down to Kentucky which is a 16 hour drive for Thanksgiving. I don't know if I can trust the maps app to get me there correctly after all of the stories of the maps not being accurate. I just want everyone's opinion here if they would trust it. I also have WAZE and Map Quest installed on my phone but just don't know which one I should use.

For those of you wondering, I do not have a GPS for the car and I really don't want to buy one if my phone can get me there. Thanks!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I would definitely trust Waze (or any other map app over Apple's offering), but, so long as you're going straight there using major highways, any should work.

It'll be when you find yourself hungry or looking for gas that Apple will really begin to let you down... as it's POI are seriously lacking, there's no way to search for them along your route, and, even if you find one, you can't add the stop to your current route.

That, and you would have to ignore the lack of a night mode, no way to view traffic while driving without manually switching between viewing modes, and the possibility of wrong addresses.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I don't know if this is the right place for this post but I figured I'd give it a shot. I wanted to know if anyone here would use apple maps in iOS6 to travel 900 miles. I'm in CT and I will be driving down to Kentucky which is a 16 hour drive for Thanksgiving. I don't know if I can trust the maps app to get me there correctly after all of the stories of the maps not being accurate. I just want everyone's opinion here if they would trust it. I also have WAZE and Map Quest installed on my phone but just don't know which one I should use.

For those of you wondering, I do not have a GPS for the car and I really don't want to buy one if my phone can get me there. Thanks!

Trust me the maps problem is way over exaggerated. If you really don't trust maps then go to mapquest. And yes I would trust apple maps, it's just a state after all, I'm not trying to get to the backside alley of an unknown street.

Mattyk182

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I would definitely trust Waze (or any other map app over Apple's offering), but, so long as you're going straight there using major highways, any should work.

It'll be when you find yourself hungry or looking for gas that Apple will really begin to let you down... as it's POI are seriously lacking, there's no way to search for them along your route, and, even if you find one, you can't add the stop to your current route.

That, and you would have to ignore the lack of a night mode, no way to view traffic while driving without manually switching between viewing modes, and the possibility of wrong addresses.

Doesn't Waze have a points of interest like local gas-stations programmed in the app since I will obviously need to get gas a few times? I just need an app that will make everything simple.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Doesn't Waze have a points of interest like local gas-stations programmed in the app since I will obviously need to get gas a few times? I just need an app that will make everything simple.

Yes, Waze does. It also includes and displays the price of gas as well (when possible).

Mattyk182

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Yes, Waze does. It also includes and displays the price of gas as well (when possible).

Awesome, thanks! I'll experiment with Apple Maps, Waze, and Map Quest in the next few weeks to see what I like and trust most. I've used apple Maps to get me across state and had no issues but never tried driving out of state with it.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I ask siri to navigate me to the nearest gas station and it works just fine. Then I select original destination and carry on

While traveling, asking for the nearest rarely ends up actually being the closest one.

If there is a gas station 3 miles out of your way and another one 7 miles ahead that that is on your route, Siri will pick the first.

I'd recommend using Nokia maps or Mapquest. Of course, creating a shortcut or bookmark to the web version of Google maps is the best.

Waze is probably the best traffic app out there. Don't rely on it though for mapping info. Beat the Traffic has the same traffic data as Google maps. I have also found Inrix app has it's own traffic which is pretty good but the app itself is crap.

It seems that Apple is improving their maps every day. I am finding a bit more traffic data showing up. Of course, it's still an epic fail. But it's pretty much a given we will NEVER get Google back natively on iOS.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
You're going to be on the highway, it won't be hard to find gas stations and food! Even when I use my GPS, I still pretty much decide when it's time for gas and food by looking at the road signs and deciding from there. Even if you want to use Siri or Waze or whatever, it's not going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

And yes, I would feel comfortable trusting Apple maps for a trip from CT to KY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.