Question on iPad 3 with LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by liquidlink, Mar 5, 2012.

1. liquidlink macrumors member

I currently have a verizon LTE mifi hotspot. If the iPad 3 has verizon LTE on it would it be possible to use my mifi sim card in the iPad 3? I know that I would have to convert my sim card to a micro which is not a big deal.

No reason to add another data plan to my account.

Thanks

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Verison use CDMA which does not use a SIM.

3. liquidlink thread starter macrumors member

Verizon has LTE as well which does use SIM Cards.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The current one yes, but if iPad 3 includes LTE then it has to use a SIM card.

OP, it should be fine once you get a microSIM. Here in Canada, it doesn't matter what device a SIM card is in, whatever plan is on that SIM card will transfer.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

Well in that case AWESOME!!!

I'm also in the same situation as the OP but with an AT&T LTE Mobile HotSpot.

6. liquidlink thread starter macrumors member

I want the ability to use the sim card in either my iPad or my MiFi Hotspot depend on what I am doing. If I am using the MiFi I know I can use my iPad via the wifi but there will be times I will just want to put my sim card into my iPad and have internet.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You'll have to get a microSIM to SIM adapter then if you want to go back and forth. Once you go to a microSIM it won't fit properly into a normal slot.

8. liquidlink thread starter macrumors member

That is good to know. I have already order a sim cutter and microSIM adapters. So in theory all I have to do it pop my sim card out of my MiFi device and insert it into the iPad 3 and it will automatically connect to LTE?

9. feldhaus macrumors newbie

I am super excited by this as I have a 4G LTE MiFi and 1 less item is always great!

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

That is until Verizon checks your IMEI number on your iPad and shuts it down. Just kidding, likelihood of them checking your IMEI will be really insignificant.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

One of the best posts I have seen in the last two days.

Thank you OP for asking as I have the mifi and was thinking the same thing.

My sister works for verizion I am going to ask her. Not holding my breathe as her store seems technically inept.

12. bidwalj macrumors 65816

verizon has confirmed they will allow you to use your iPad as a hotspot without paying extra. I don't see why you will have an issue. I plan on doing the same as i have a work mifi and will just cut the sim and use it in the iPad and since hotspot will be supported, i can just use the iPad for hotspot purposes rather can carry the mifi device too.

----------

having said that, the gold contact part of the verizon sim is different on their micro and regular sim. The contact area is much bigger on the normal sim. I have a sim cutter and you can cut it without cutting any of the contact portion off.

----------

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/07/mobile-hotspot-included-in-verizons-ipad-4g-lte-data-plan/

13. davidjacobs21 macrumors regular

How do you get one of these sim to microsim adapters

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It's like a hole punch. I have one so I can punch micro-SIMs out of SIM cards. If you want to change it back to a normal SIM card, there are plastic placeholders available too.

15. davidjacobs21 macrumors regular

Is there like a kit that sells the punch thing plus the plastic adapters to switch it back

16. loyalist macrumors 6502

17. rpmccool macrumors newbie

When I tried it, it recognized the Verizon network and said it had a 3G connection. Upon trying to access the internet, I got an account error and said I needed to setup an account.

Put the sim card back in my mifi and it worked just fine.

Not sure what the issue is.

18. rpmccool macrumors newbie

Update:
    So I tried it again while traveling for work and found that it worked! I'll post here again if I come across problems again.

Good news!!