iPad Question on iPad Air 2 front panel vs. Air 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Oct 28, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've got an iPad Air 1 screen protector on my Air 2. This protector has two cutouts at the top, one for the camera and one just to the left of the camera. Is there an ambient light sensor or something I can't see next to the camera on the Air 2?

My iPad is white, so I thought that I'd be able to see something if it was there, and was just assuming that the Air 2 didn't have whatever this cutout is for that the Air 1 must've had next to the camera, since the protector is originally for an Air 1 (which I never owned). However the iPhone 6 protector on my wife's white iPhone 6 also has two cutouts at the top, but for one of the cutouts I can't see anything.

So is there some other sensor next to the camera on the Air 2 that can't be seen, even on a white iPad?

2. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

3. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

My Zaag HD screen protector has only the cutout for the camera and nothing else, whereas my original Air had a bigger cutout for ambient light sensor and camera. Maybe they reworked the layout due to the new bonding technique used in the front panels of the new model.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

5. ozshadow macrumors regular

Zagg Glass just covers everything except the Home button I believe.

6. awests macrumors regular

As posted above, the light sensor is at the top left of the device.