Question on iPad Pro (iPad 2)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluemonkeyguy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

Do you think the upcoming iPad could house its own stylus (PDA/Nintendo DS style)? Also, good idea or wasted space?

:DThis is my first thread!:D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not gonna be the iPad Pro
    and not likely to have a stylus

Sorry :(

But welcome to the Forums

3. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

congratulations, and no i highly doubt it. Especially the way jobs bashed styli so much

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

5. ronjon10 macrumors regular

You can get a third party stylus that works pretty well. I've got one and use it all the time with note taking software designed to accept hand written input. I'm hoping it's smoother on ipad2.

The software isn't suited to using a stylus otherwise for many other applications though. There's no way they'd take up space inside the device to make room for a stylus holder, I'd rather have that space used for batteries anyway.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I had to laugh at this. Do you realise just how much MASSIVE EMPTY SPACE there is inside an iPad?

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2347-1035_11-410167-410168.html?seq=1&tag=content;leftCol

I can't see a Stylus of say 4mm dia. really causing a problem can you?

I think a small elephant should be able to fit in there quite easily!

7. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i think a stylus would be rather useless. i have used my ipad for quite some while now and never missed any sort of stylus. a device as big as the iphone would work much better with a stylus than the ipad. thou i don't think the iphone will ever ship with a stylus nor do i wont it to do so.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If you were placed in front of a sheet of paper in art class, and you had some paints to use, would you select a brush and use that to produce a beautiful detailed piece of art to impress the teacher, or would you just poke your fingers into the paint pots like a 3 year old?

Humans use the best tools for the job to obtain the best results.

A finger may not always be the best tool for the job. And having to use a tool to achieve a better result does not mean you have failed.

Even chimps have learned to use tools to improve what they can do with their hands alone.

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Good analogy, except that the iPad is designed to inspire the exuberance felt by the three year old.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Good thing the majority of iPad buyers aren't using as a sheet of paper in an art class. There are/were plenty of windows tablets that required the use of a stylus, have they succeeded in any way?

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What OS a tablet has, has nothing to do with the use of a Stylus or not.

Some uses of the iPad work better when used with a stylus, writing and painting being the obvious two.

We paint with a brush, not our finger, we write with a pen, not our finger.
    I only say it would be nice if the iPad came fitted with a stylus as standard so people could use it for the apps the suited it.

No negatives in having it there as an option when it's useful to have.

12. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

There is no advantage in terms of accuracy, etc. when using a stylus. Due to the type of touchscreen and the way the iPad detects touch input (i.e. it is expecting a finger) a narrow tipped stylus wouldn't work.

Similar to the poster above, I use a stylus with a note-taking app. It doesn't improve my handwriting any but I find using the stylus more comfortable than using just my finger for extended periods of time.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree you can draw a 1 pixel line with a stylus or a 1 pixel line with your finger tip. The only problem using your finger tip is that you are totally blind to what you are doing as it's covered by your fat finger!

14. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I think Apple will view a stylus the way they view cases. They might even make one, but they won't insist that every iPad owner buy one built-in whether they need it or not. I cannot imagine any use for a stylus, so I won't want one. If I got one in the box, it would buy something I'd have no use for.

So just as many people buy a case for their iPad (even one made by Apple), Apple does not include a case with purchase. That way the user can decide a) do they want a case; and b) what kind of case do they want?

With a stylus it is the same. Each user can decide a) do they want a stylus; and b) what kind of stylus do they want?

People can criticize Apple for being too controlling ("they decide everything for you, waaaaa!"), or not controlling enough ("they want us to buy our own stylus?!"), but you cannot do both at the same time.

15. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

16. bluemonkeyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody knows if it's going to be called iPad Pro or iPad 2 so....:D

17. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8