Question on iPhone upgrade and timing...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by virtuosity, Jun 1, 2011.

1. virtuosity macrumors member

Hi - I am about to upgrade my iPhone 3GS which has done me proud for a year now (my wife wants it!) - and so my thinking is that the WWDC is next week, surely I should wait and see whether iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S or whatever is going to be launched next week? But reading this article this morning:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/article_b92972cb-743d-5c94-9464-f9ab3b6fa5c7.html

... it doesn't appear to me to be any hints at a new hardware launch next week? Anyone know anything on timing of the next hardware launch? Or is everything still 'speculation' and rumour?

I got my iPhone 3GS the week before iPhone 4 was launched, and my iPad two days before iPad2 was launched, just trying to avoid being a complete frikkin moron and baggin a hattrick of guffs...

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Since WWDC is in less than a week, why don't you just wait until WWDC and check. It seems unlikely there will be any hardware related announcements at WWDC this year though.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It really seems like we won't be seeing the next iPhone at WWDC. Best case scenario, if they allot the standard beta time to iOS we won't see the next iPhone until August - yet it seems more logical for it to be released in September.

4. virtuosity thread starter macrumors member

5. Espionage32 macrumors regular

No I think Apple will introduce an iphone update. Apple likes to Surprise people.

The whole issue of last year debacle has left a bad after taste.

6. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

I expect a software update maybe ios 5. I do not expect new hardware yet. Apple isn't usually the first to go into something new hardware wise. They like to make sure something works a while.

Software on the other hand they are always jumping out on. OS Lion and iOS 5 would be plenty imo.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This is posting number 4,891 on 493 different message threads all asking about upgrading to the next iphone.

Maybe there should be a category here with just that question.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Even if they announce it next week they won't be able to ship it 'till September. Developers don't have iOS 5 yet. The factories haven't been making tons of new phones yet.

It's 100% certain that a new iPhone is not coming out within the next 2 months, and it'll probably be more like 3 months.

Whether or not they announce it next week, I don't know, but I find it very unlikely that Apple will talk about new hardware that far out.