Question on iPhoto and external editors...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benoitgphoto, Aug 14, 2007.

1. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

I posted this question in another thread but I think I might have more chance to get help if I start my own one.

I'm new to Iphoto and to the Mac being a switcher from a PC a few months ago. What about if I want to use Iphoto to transfert photos from the camera, view, manage and organize the files only. I love the integration with Iwork and other applications.

The thing is that my actual workflow is to convert RAW files with Nikon Capture NX and finalize the post processing with Photoshop. Is Iphoto able to track the files and the changes made to them and / or the different files created with the other editors ? My guess is that I would have to add manually to Iphoto library the final files edited with PSCS3. Am I wrong or is there a more simple way of doing things ? Also, I'm still not sure if it's better to check or uncheck the option "Copy files to Iphoto library forder". What should I do ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I'm not 100% sure if iPhoto can do this. However, for what you want to do, have you had a look at Lightroom or Aperture?

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Within iPhoto preferences, you can set Photoshop to be your external editor. When you manipulate your photo, it will be saved back to the same place it was in iPhoto. Is that what you are asking?

4. benoitgphoto thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes but it seems that we can only use 1 external editor in Iphoto. I guess I would have to throw away Capture NX for my RAW conversion and use Iphoto for that and use Photoshop for the final touch.

Thanks
    Ben