Question on IPod Touch resale value/getting new Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmir8-8-, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. jmir8-8- macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #1
    Ok, I struck out on my first thread in "buying tips" because I think it was about 15 paragraphs too long. I thought maybe I should aim for a more directed question on my second try.

    I'm ready to buy a uMB(P). The fact that BTS comes with a free IPod Touch made me giddy. I am still using an IPod that predates video IPod's. The Touch looks absurdly cool.

    But I've waited this long for a better IPod, and can certainly wait a few months more. The strategy suggested by this situation would seem to be to grab the free IPT, sell it for as many dollars as possible, asap, and put the money towards a next generation IPT, whenever they come out.

    Here are my two questions:

    1) Would you agree with a coworker of mine that the 8GB Touch is easier to resell?

    I can get one of these for free and then resell, or I can pay up seventy more bucks for the 16GB if these are the ones that bring better resale value.

    2) Do you think the next update will be sufficiently cool and not buggy that it's worth it to pursue this plan? Otoh, they do look so cool already that it's tempting to order it, use it, and engrave it, but otoh, it would be even cooler to have the next generation one, and I've already waited this long and can easily tolerate a few more months.

    Any advice would be appreciated.
     
  2. trevorplease macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2009
    #2
    That's what I'm planning to do. 8 GB touch on craigslist for hopefully up to $200 and just wait for the next generation one to come out (64gb come on!)
     
  3. jmir8-8- thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #3
    I know the rule is that "anyone?" posts are verboten. But "anything?" posts, perhaps are ok?

    Am I soing something wrong here? Is this in the wrong place? Do my two posts, in some way I am unaware of, unmistakeably scream "douche" or something of the like?

    I'm so excited about entering the world of mac, and reading through the posts here has been terrifically helpful. As a poster, I am feeling like quite a failure, though, I am afraid.

    I've done a search, and the only post on 8GB vs. 16GB resale value is from another newbie, like myself.

    I imagine that many people have a lot of knowledge about this. Can anyone help? Pretty please?
     
  4. IdiddidI macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    #4
    To your question about whether to get an 8 MB v. 16 MB to resell, if I had to spend an extra $70 to acquire the 16 MB, I would want to feel assured I could get an extra ~$100 back (above and beyond the price of an 8 MB) when I resell it. Otherwise, it's not worth fronting the money out of my pocket and the risk of not making it back.

    But honestly...if I was you, I would think long and hard about keeping the Touch. You're overdue for an upgrade, and it easily one of the coolest gadgets I've ever owned...The next gen will undoubtedly have more memory, probably a faster processor and better battery life, and possibly a camera. Of those features, the camera is the only thing that would make me think twice about upgrading my 2G. How important would it be to you?
     
  5. jmir8-8- thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #5
    Thank you so much for your answer. Honestly, if the digital camera were significantly better than the one on my razr, I think that would be something I'd be interested in.

    The plan would be to resell the moment I get my hands on the free IPT. As long as the opinion here is that the 8GB resale value, if sold in the next three weeks or so, will hold reasonable steady, then I would agree that getting the 8GB is the way to go. I was just scared that no one would want it...
     
  6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    Location:
    North Central Florida
    #6
    Well, i'd have to get a REALLY GOOD deal on an 8gb to buy it "used", it's just not big enough for me.

    You are saving on the computer since the price drop, so that almost makes up for the $70. I'd be apt to buy it, use it for a month or so and see how much space you will need for whatyou end up doing with it. You haven't been able to carry movies & TV shows around with you before, and they suck up space big time.

    Then i'd sell it.... or heck, get the 8gb and send it to me - i'd just have to suffer thru the lack of space! LOL!!!

    (for me, i figure to maximize my "investment" i need the 32gb)
     
  7. Muncher macrumors 65816

    Muncher

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #7
    1) Get the 8GB touch, then at the least you're not down anything if you can't sell it at the price you want to.

    2) Yes. :p (Disclaimer: I really don't know, but I'm saving up anyway just in case :D). I waited all of last summer to get my current iPod and I don't regret it one bit.
     

Share This Page