Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxcool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Does anyone here have experience with Lacie's Little Big Disk. It's a fanless external drive enclosure with two 2.5" drives in RAID 0 setup, with triple interfaces (USB 2.0, FW 400 & 800). I like the look and the spec so I was wondering if anyone here actually own one and try to get your opinions on it.

I'm especially interested in the 320 GB, which features 2 160 Gig 5400 RPM drives, and the 200 GB, which features 2 100 Gig 7200 RPM drives. I'm torn because I want the capacity of the 320, but worry about giving up too much speed because of the 5400 RPM.

Any advice or comment will be appreciated.

babbler

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
I have bought 4 LaCie drives in the last few weeks. One 500GB d2 and three 500GB 'big disks'. All have the triple interface you describe.

The power supply on the d2 failed within 5 minutes of arriving. Since replacing it, it has run OK.

One of the big disks is running ok so far (48 hrs in!)

The other two were arranged as a RAID0 volume, and that immediately started giving problems of spontaneously ejecting itself. I have split them into two separate drives to see which is causing the problem.

Judge for yoursef if this anecdote casts doubt on LaCie reliability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.