Question on MacBook Pro as iMac replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OW22, Apr 2, 2016.

1. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Hi all,

I currently have a lat 2010 iMac 27in. Time is approaching to look at a replacement, but here's the dilemma....I work from home quite a bit and I use my current iMac as an external monitor for my work windows laptop. It works great, Displayport/Mini DP adapter and the iMac turns into a great monitor.

The issue is the new iMacs have closed this possibility as Apple tends to do so new iMacs cannot accept a non thunderbolt device. So there is now way and this has been debated endlessly on the internet, to hook up a windows laptop to the iMac to use as a monitor. Very silly from Apple as there is no way I am the only one who wants to do this.

So I have to look at other options. Mac Mini and a new QHD monitor but the Mac Mini is a worry because it's seems a bit weak and of course nothing is upgradable in that device now.

So I'm now looking at a MBP to use as my desktop replacement allied to a good monitor like the Asus MX27UQ. My use is pretty basic. I don't do any taxing tasks like video or photo editing or gaming.

To me, the MBP 13in with 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM seems the best choice and more than enough for my needs. Question is, does the 15in with the quad core etc make more sense from a future proof aspect? I won't be lugging this laptop around anywhere so portability is not an issue. The 15in possible also can dissipate heat better I expect as it's bigger as well.

Main crux of my situation is this, is the MBP 13in a genuine desktop replacement for the iMac?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

If you're going to use an external monitor with it, the 13" is cheaper, easier to carry around.

Take the money you save, and get your display with it!

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Isn't a 13" spec'd out the way you want close to the cost of a 15" base?

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Have tried MS remote desktop? It is free in app store and might be a satisfactory alternative to work on your Windows machine from an iMac.

You could also consider upgrading your existing iMac with ssd. My 2009 iMac is still running strong and I don't have plans to replace it anytime soon.

5. OW22 thread starter macrumors 6502

OW22

Our work systems are totally closed off, we can't install any 3rd party programs like a remote server which I'd have to do on the windows system.

I've thought about updating the iMac with 16GB of RAM and a new SSD. It's an option for sure, but I'm leaning toward something new that will last for at least 6+ years.

6. Significant1 macrumors 6502

No, Windows has remote desktop built-in since Windows NT 4.0. It is not 3rd party.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remote-desktop-connection-faq#1TC=windows-8
    They question though, is if you have enough permission to enable it. If not, your company it-department might help you.

I think you will be amazed about what speed you will get from ram and ssd upgrade. I have 24GB ram and 640GB ssd (ssd since 2011) in my 2.8GHz i7. I replaced my gpu with 1GB 5750, because the old 4850 broke. It is running like a dream. No matter how many app's I have running, it just keeps going without any slow downs and I am definitely expecting it to last me at least 5years more, unless something break. From my experience with my fully loaded i7 2014 Macbook air, I would say real life performance exceeds Macbook Pro 13" unless your workload depends on heavy singlethreaded performance.