Question on MacBook Pro Retina Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pavvel, Jun 13, 2016.

1. pavvel macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm using the latest model retina 15" MacBook Pro. I have the latest version of El Capitan.

I noticed that the fans seem to be on a off all the time, i understand when using Logic or photoshop etc... it's processing more but they seem to come on with general activity. I just installed iStat and I have been doing very little, nothing intensive just Safari etc... I have included a screenshot. Can anyone with a similar system let me know if this is normal please? Before I call Apple. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Looks completely normal.

Generally, unless the machine isn't working you have nothing to worry about. The fans regulate themselves.

3. pavvel thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for that. I was just wondering as the fans seemed a little crazy to me.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, temps are absolutely fine, so if the fans are kicking in, they're just doing their job.

Regardless, if you have any concerns about the fans coming on when they shouldn't, you can do an SMC reset.

1) Shut down the Mac
    2) Ensure your power cable is plugged in
    3) Along the left-hand side of the keyboard, press and hold the following keys at the same time: Shift, Control, Alt, in addition to holding the power button at the same time
    4) Press and hold all at the same time for about 3 seconds, then let go. The power cable may change colour.

Also ensure your OS is fully up-to-date.

5. pavvel thread starter macrumors member

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Remove some dust.

Replace the old thermal compound with Arctic MX-4.

7. leman macrumors 604

Sometimes the fans go up during backups or indexing. Nothing to worry about.

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

Don't visit websites that have a lot of video. And watch out for site's that all of the video ads.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Also try a click to flash plug in and Adblock these can seriously lower the amount of nonsense needlessly using you computers resources when online.