Question on Maz maximize button and results---not what you think

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swgms, Jul 8, 2008.

1. swgms macrumors newbie

OK I just receive my first Macbook Pro,in fact my first Mac. Now correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression that when you maximized windows on a mac they would only go to the size necessary to complete the task, and would form around other active windows. this worried me at first, but after having the large screen I realize I would like the feature.

However, when i click the maximize button in most windows it will fill up the entire screen, or only leave about 50 pixels left. Also it will completely bypass any other open windows.

i was wondering if there was a way so I could have Firefox open in one corner, mail in one and a chat window in another. I could resize all the windows, but in a browsers this makes the web pages offly distorted.

I thought about spaces, but for the task i desire the added time it takes to press f8 and go to the space i could have just used expose.

For most heavy work related task this is al fine, but for basic browsing this is slightly annoying.

Ps. instead of posting a new tread maybe you can answer this too. Is there any way to adjust the speed on the dock. I used to use rocket dock and you could have to dock come up in a small fraction of a second. I get the mac and the dock seems to open slow sometimes. If there is any way to adjust these settings i would be very happy.

But besides these few things i have been really, really happy with my purchase.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Thats why expose was invented.
    You can resize the windows by clicking and dragging on the bottom right hand corner of a window, and then using expose... its fine for me.

I don't see any other solution really:confused:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In theory, the green maximize button only resizes the window to accommodate the contents, such as a Safari window, so there is no left-right scroll bar. It does not consider any other windows or maximize around them. In practice, there are times there are still scroll bars even maximized, so it's not a perfect function.

4. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

i found this wierd too since im a first time mac owner but i have got used to having smaller windows on my macbook and now i never have anything full screen. This is the complete opposite to my mum who has everything maximised on her vista pc and wonders why she can't see everything :rolleyes:

theres a utility called 'hotbox' that make anything you select on your screen full screen (like youtube videos) but im not sure if it works for firefox, mail or whatever.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Agreed with everything everyone else says about the browser maximizing however you will only experience your web browsing this way such as maximizing just enough to show available content. Obviously you are posting this because other apps maximize to full screen. Trust the fact that it's all logically done.
    iCal, Mail, iPhoto and any others will maximize to full screen when clicking the green button because if you notice the maximizing these apps work well as full screen apps. Nothing appears stretched out and these are apps where you actually do work and a maximized environment is the norm for them.

Aside from that I certainly don't understand at all what you mean by Dock speed? The Dock just sits static, unless you are talking about hiding and showing the Dock. Whatever that means I certainly wouldn't try to compare a fake dock's features from Rocketdock to the real thing on the Mac as Rocketdock is a program and not an integral part of the OS like on the Mac.