Question on MBP part

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pdjudd, Jun 12, 2011.

1. pdjudd macrumors 601

OK, I have a question for all of you. I have a (I believe) to be a rev a 2006 era 15” MBP that needs a new keyboard assembly due to a broken power button. I know that there were about 3 different revisions in it’s lifetime before the re-design.

My question is, is there any difference in the keyboard assembly (they keyboard mouse, speaker grills and power button) upper tray part between revisions or do I need to get the exact part for the specific revision. I would think not, but I want to make sure for when I try to find the part.

As a bonus, does anybody possibly know the best spot to find this part?

Thanks all

2. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Just as an addition, I need the entire part - the top case keyboard plus the surrounding case unless the keyboard can be installed easily in an empty housing.

The reason I need the part is that the power button is broken and I want to make sure that I get the right part. If my memory serves right (since the laptop is at my home) the model is A1211.

Again, thanks.

3. jupman macrumors newbie

4. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

I noticed that - that's why I specified the complete assembly which would have the power button and everything connected. Worse case would be attaching the keyboard to the assembly but I don't know what the difficulty level of that is since I haven't had to do that. I have replaced keyboards on other laptops, but never on Apple Laptops. Ifixit doesn't make it look easy...

I thought I could save some time since I am not the one paying for it. I probably won't order it until tomorrow anyway, but I thought I would make my pricing research easier by seeing if I needed specific models or not. If it has to be a specific part for a specific model, so be it.

(Rant aside, I wouldn't be in this boat if the power button worked and wasn't broken....)

5. AMacbook macrumors member

6. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

It’s out of warranty - out of the question for my client since any repairs would be out of her budget. I know what I am doing here - I just needed advice on the specific part numbers.

Anyway, I found the part I needed for the specific model of Mac and it is being shipped as we speak. Thanks all for the advice.